Ventilation for coop inside a larger barn?

Stonemoore

Chirping
7 Years
May 22, 2014
Hi everyone. So I kinda fell back into chicken keeping this spring after a decade long hiatus😜. I have a small flock (currently at 13, but about half are headed to freezer camp shortly) which have lived outdoors since May in converted calf huts surrounded by electric poultry netting. Now my husband is finally getting around to building me a new coop area for winter inside our existing barn. The indoor area will be about 10 x 20 and will be in the lower half of our old barn. How much do I need to worry about ventilation in this case? We are using 1/2" hardware cloth for the two walls; the other two will be the existing stone walls. The overall barn footprint is 35' x 55' and the barn is not airtight - there is a large sliding door on the south side adjacent to the coop entrance, and a staircase to the main floor which a fair bit of air comes down, but about 20 feet from the coop. I'm guessing we don't need additional ventilation?
We are in Southern Ontario, Canada. We do get down to -20 at times in winter, but not usually for too long, and the lowered half of the barn stays at least 5 degrees warmer than outside.

Thanks for any advice. I'm excited to finally be able to have the indoor coop on the ground floor and with proper wiring. No more hauling feed and water upstairs, and no extension cords!👍

Back
Top Bottom