Ventilation in the humid cold

FamilyofThree

Chirping
Dec 1, 2022
Newbies from Northwest Florida here... We have extremely high humidity conditions and generally hot climate, but it is about to drop into the low 20s after being pleasantly warm (mostly 70s and low 80s) for a while. (Yes, all the blooming plants are going to suffer.) Anyway, we built our coop uninsulated with huge hardware cloth screened windows and full size screened doors on two sides. Is there anything we can/should be doing to prep for the unusual cold for our area? The chickens like to roost at window height. One wall is solid cinder blocks. (We built against the side of a pre-existing carport-like structure.) The floor is concrete slab due to rat problems in our neighborhood and we use pine chips for litter.
IMG20221202063110.jpg

As long as the wind does not blow directly on the roosts it should be fine.

Here's my Open Air coop last January: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/open-air-coop-in-the-snow.1508695/

0122220817-jpg.2968472

Though I will say that since my coop is so very large it has a greater ability to cope with weather disturbances and it is located in a naturally-sheltered spot in the landscape.
Wow! What is all that strange white stuff? 😉 Just kidding. It snows in my part of Florida once in awhile, though on the rare occasion that it does, it generally melts when it gets to the ground. It is amazing how different the weather is in different places. Thank you for the assurance about our coop. We have Rhode Island Reds, so I know they can handle low temperatures, just was not sure about our coop in the cold when combined with such a high humidity.

Wow! What is all that strange white stuff? 😉 Just kidding. It snows in my part of Florida once in awhile, though on the rare occasion that it does, it generally melts when it gets to the ground. It is amazing how different the weather is in different places. Thank you for the assurance about our coop. We have Rhode Island Reds, so I know they can handle low temperatures, just was not sure about our coop in the cold when combined with such a high humidity.

Not much we can do about humidity when it's the outside air that's soggy and not anything about our coops.

Back
Top Bottom