Ventilation is the key not humidity!

Quote:
I still don't think you could achieve an effective amount of air compression unless you were willing to run an air compressor...

But I'd love to see someone try it.

There actually is an air compressor in my house (two of them!) for a person who has a tracheotomy... And lots of oxygen equipment and humidification equipment.
smile.png

I think if there was a simple way for O2 dependent people to have a room where they could take off the equipment, they would certainly do it. Alot of people here wear O2 at night (and grumble about it).
smile.png
If you came up with a simple system to pressurize the bedroom I think you will make millions of dollars by making these people more comfortable.

Sorry for the tangential discussion.
smile.png

Can people post the

size of your bator

number of holes

size of holes

incubator humidity levels

hatcher humidity levels (or last 3 days in bator)

Bator room humidity level

hatch rates

approx altitude

if you post these items I will put together a spread sheet so we can figure the best humidity/ventilation ratio

Last edited:
Good idea.

It would also be interesting to know what the humidity normally is in their hatching room.

For high altitude hatchers, you need to know if eggs are shipped or not. Several people have told me they have good hatch rates on eggs produced at high altitude. It seems to be a definite factor on hatchability.

Doing a little math in my head here.

The average 150 pound mans weight stands on 30 square inches.

Those bounce houses that are powered by a squirrel cage fan will hold up a 150 pound man. To do that they have to achieve at least 5 psi above the outside pressure. That's 1/4th of an atmosphere. That's at least a few thousand feet difference.

If I remember my training right the PPV fans we use to blow smoke out of burning building can achieve 1/2 atmosphere above the outside air. But they use a airplane engine an prop.

One incubator I have holds 3 gallon of air. about 3.5 cubic feet an the door does not seal. So its ventilated to the extreme. I have to humidity in the 60s% (first 18 days) to get good evaporation rates in it.

The other is a standard side by side fridge. Its only ventilation is the 2.5 inch hole that was the ice door. But even with the flap on it closed to the width of a pencil and 165 eggs in it I still have good O2 levels an no issues with sufication(spelling). But to achieve the evaporation rates I need I have to have the vent open fully an the humidity as low as I can get it.

To change the pressure 6 ATM (from 6,500' to sea level) looks to me like 87 PSI of differential pressure. That kind of makes sense to me - for positive pressure ventilation my mom's ventilator is set at 50 PSI.

There's a cool pressure conversion calculator here.

http://www.lenntech.com/unit-conversion-calculator/pressure.htm

And a useful altitude chart here.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

I don't think a half ATM gets you thousands of feet equivalance of air pressure change. Maybe 1000'. So a quarter would get you 500'. (you can get a look at this on the chart)

PLMK if I'm reading the chart wrong. I may need a prop fan to blow all the smoke out of my @@@.
lol.png

Last edited:
Man, I must have small feet lol.

Lets try this again. I weigh 135 pounds. My foot is about 7 X 3. Thats 21 square feet per foot or 42 square feet. So 135 devided by 42 = 3.2

So it take 3.2 psi to hold me up which it does. An thats a cheep squirrel cage fan.

My math did need a little more work lol.

Beardedchick, your chart says that the air pressure 10,000 feet is 10.1 PSI an the air pressure at sea level is 14.696 PSI so adding 5 PSI would be over a 10,000 foot differential. Which is actually closer to 1/3ed of an atmosphere than the the 1/4th I said before.

Back
Top Bottom