ventilation open or closed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noidhndlr, Apr 27, 2008.

1. noidhndlr

noidhndlr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Hello,
    I have a quick question about ventilation. The front of my coop has a vent opening, below the eaves along the entire front (north facing) 6 inchs x 8 ft. Should I leave this open or should I make a drop down door so that I can close it up during the winter? Temp exteremes: 115 summer, 20ish in the winter.

[​IMG]

This is a side picture with the drop down door, which I could also do for the front if it's better. This picture is with the door open
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture with the door closed.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks

Holly
    patiently waiting for the chicken kids

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I would without question make a hinged panel like you did for the sides. I can pretty much guarantee that there will be at least *some* times when it is in the 20s and windy and maybe even snowing and your chickens will want the coop temporarily 'buttoned up' [​IMG]

You could even make something that attaches to eyebolts (with weatherstripping to compensate for the resulting loose-ish fit) so that the cover could be physically removed for most of the year. That way it won't sit there looking pointless and silly all summer [​IMG] but you will be able to very quickly put it in if unpleasant winter weather is forecast.

JMHO,

Pat

3. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Nice coop. I do think it will need some sort of closure in the winter at the top.

DeeDee

4. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I'm new to coop building but even in the winter they are going to need some ventalation to avoid condensation inside the coop.
    I like the idea of a piece that could bolt on in the coldest weather.
    It will great to see more pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by