Ventilation question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sonjap, Apr 19, 2012.

1. sonjap

sonjap Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Parker, CO
    Hi all,
    Newbie here. I bought this coop: http://www.precisionpet.com/detail.aspx?ID=191
    The door has way too much gap around it so I'm going to maybe find some rubber weather stripping or something to close that up. I will also be putting in either a hinged door or slide up door where the ramp enters. This coop will be inside a predator proof (I hope!) pen about 12X24. I've been reading a lot about how important it is to have ventilation but no drafts. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that since this coop is so small. I only have 4 chicks. I've seen a recommendation of 1 sq ft per chicken, but geez, that would remove a whole wall of the coop! I'm thinking about drilling a lot of holes along the top under the eaves on the side where the ramp enters. Or should I cut out a section and put hardware cloth on? I don't know if I should not weatherstrip the top part of the outside door so there will be some cross ventilation for whatever else I do. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't know how cold your winters get where you live, but one thing I did learn is that chickens are more cold tolerant than many think. We did put some weather stripping on, but I don't know how important it was in retrospect. I did learn that the foam style weather stripping was a bad idea because the chickens liked to pull it off in pieces. Oh well, live and learn.

If you check out this thread half way through, there is a good explanation of ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...to-insulate-that-is-the-question#post_8748029

3. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    First thing is not to rush. Why airtight seal the door then drill holes in the wall?

Since it is new, why not observe and change as you need. Place vents at higher locations since heat rises. How much vent opening you need depends on how much sun exposure and local climate.

When add vents, keep in mind that you might need to close some or all off in the winter, depending on your local climate.

My coop has soffit and gable vents (with flaps) on all four sides as well as windows. You can not get enough ventilation in the summer of northeast. In the winter, only the down wind side vents are opened, sometimes partially.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. sonjap

Mar 16, 2012
    Parker, CO
    I live near Denver, CO. We get some pretty high winds so I wory that the winter winds might chill their little bones. I can definately hold off on the weather stripping until that season comes around, but how do you tell if your ventilation isn't enough? Are there certain signs to look for? Damp bedding maybe? Condensation on the walls?

5. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I had the same question and did for a long while. I looked for dew on wall and windows. Without seeing any, I still was not 100% convinced.

Then I installed a thermometer with hygrometer in the coop. I found the humidity would reach 100% inside if it is 100% outside (raining or snowing). I think it is because my coop is not insulated or heated. But still no condensation inside and no frostbites. So I guess my venting strategy is working.

Another point, my pop (chicken) door stays open almost all the time, except in very windy nights. When closed, it is not air tight. Make-up air needs to come in from a low point of the coop allowing warmer air to rise and vent out, otherwise there would be a negative (or vacuum) air pressure and the venting will not be effective.

6. StephanieH

StephanieH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    I don't understand the op's comment about 1 sq ft and removing a wall of the coop. Are you saying you aren't going to have 1 sq ft per chicken?

7. crchickens

crchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Blue Ridge, TX
    I think OP is saying that they read that there should be one square foot of venting per chicken? maybe??

8. sonjap

Mar 16, 2012
    Parker, CO
  9. StephanieH

StephanieH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Ahhh....okay....I thought you were going to have some squished in chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by