Ventilation questions

rheagle

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 15, 2012
I have a 4x6 coop that is almost done. I have windows on all sides but I'm thinking about winter. There's really not enough room to put additional ventilation above the windows. Would I be better off to design a "baffle" to keeping a breeze out to put over the south window and leave it open in the winter or put a turbine vent on the flat roof? We live in Wisconsin on the ridge so it's coldand always breezy.

Wow, a day and a half and no responses... Well, I'm no coop wizard but I'll give you my opinion and a bump to your post.
smile.png

It seems that you are already aware that you need plenty of ventilation even in the winter time so we're good there.

Venting on the south wall... What about venting on the north wall and let the roosts be on the south wall? This way, at least during the day the sun may heat the southern wall a bit giving the chickens a little solar gain heat. But, regarding a baffle, I think it would work for blocking breezes and snow...but, it will also block off that solar gain I mentioned (though the gain may not be worth worrying about?).

Turbine vent in the roof adds an area for possible leaks. I'd rather have venting around the eaves of the roof..above the chickens' head. I don't know what your intentions are for the coop roof, but I would extend the roof up to be inline with the run roof. That would give a nice slope for drainage, give space for adding eave-vents, and give the chickens a bit more "head room" between them and the ventilation.

Note: I've seen it often stated to give chickens 1-sqft of vent per chicken.

Btw, do you have 2x4 welded wire on the bottom areas of the screened door? An apron around the coop and run?

Ok, the strike-through stuff below I started writing before I realized this was a work-in-progress so disregard it, though I left it for you for food for thought.

Best wishes,
Ed

With the size stated, 4x6, I'm taking it that you will have six or less chickens in the coop (I would think that your winters are harsh so fewer chickens would be better being as they will most likely have extended time spent inside the coop.

The "flat" roof... Is the roof metal? Shingles? I don't have snow down here in Alabama so I'm not familiar with living with it. But, wouldn't it be better for the roof to have a slight slope to it? Maybe to let the snow slide off or at least for draining for when the snow melts (or it rains)? I wouldn't want water/dampness puddling on top of my roof. It looks like you *could* extended the sloped roof of the run on over the coop.

Thanks for your response! The main problem is that there is no room above the windows. The roof/ceiling is already on the coop. It is flat, but we did a rubber roofing and the roof over the run is being extended to cover the coop as well so not much rain/snow should get in there. I'm hoping that having windows will help keep it warmer in the winter. There are windows on all 4 sides. I have a little room (about 6") on each side of the windows on the ends so I may be able to add a vent of some sort there. The nesting boxes are framed to go in the south wall, I don't have enough room to access them on the north wall so the roosts will have to stay at the other end. Someone had mentioned possibly adding a bathroom exhaust. I could do that. they are just so noisy that it would probably drive me nuts. :)

We do have wire fencing under the coop and run, as well as wire and hardware cloth on the screen door and around the run. There is also hardware cloth between the roof of the coop and into the run. I will add a couple of pics of the work that I was able to get done today.

Pics of inside?
Curious where the roosts are.
Your best bet is probably in the roof. but you may have to close off part of area above coop roof up to other roof to keep snow out of there...leaving gap to run open.

Back
Top Bottom