Ventilation?

Scoot Dee

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
Michigan
I am repurposing an old outhouse into a chicken coop and I was wondering what else I should do as far as ventilation. I'm including a picture of the structure I am using and the vent in the picture the main door and another vent on the opposite side is the only ventilation it has. My question isn't as to how much ventilation I should have but where I should add some.
20170604_134225.jpg

If it has an entrance and an exit for air, it should be good enough. I have a window in one end of my coop and the chicken door at the other end of my coop, and my chickens are fine.

So, if you have no hole on the opposite side of the biggest vent area, I think you should add one.

Is your door going to be open for ventilation 24/7? I would cut an opening the length of the top boards on the front and back. then cover them with hardware cloth. You also might want to make the ones on the side bigger.

Welcome to BYC @Scoot Dee !

Might depend on what your climate is
(good to put your location in your profile)
and where the coop will be located on site-shady, sunny, etc.

IMO the more ventilation, that is closable and protected from the weather, the better.
Gives you options thru the seasons and weather.

I would add a large roof over hang with open eaves and some top hinged windows to that structure.

Here's pretty good discussion thread on ventilation:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

Last edited:
You will probably be fine. I thought outhouses were built with ventilation for obvious reasons. I would add hardware cloth to any vents though. Make sure there is a good lock or a few good locks on the door and use hardware cloth instead of screen on the door.

What a great idea to repurpose the outhouse.

Welcome to BYC @Scoot Dee !

Might depend on what your climate is
(good to put your location in your profile)
and where the coop will be located on site-shady, sunny, etc.

IMO the more ventilation, that is closable and protected from the weather, the better.
Gives you options thru the seasons and weather.

I would add a large roof over hang with open eaves and some top hinged windows to that structure.

Here's pretty good discussion thread on ventilation:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

I am in South eastern Michigan and the coop has full sun until around 330-4 pm. The structure already has an overhang in both the front and back and the vents on the side had plastic inserts in them from when it was an outhouse. I have since popped the inserts out and plan on covering the openings with hardware cloth. I agree that I need to update my profile just haven't had the time. Thanks for your input and I have already read that article I just figured I would ask for more than one opinion.

LargER roof overhangs... with open eaves.
Or at least add a big long vent under the existing front overhang,
and some top hinged windows.
Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom