Ventilation

Right now I have 6 chicks. The actual coop is going to be 8x6 I am going to build a wall so I have a little area to keep there feed and any supplies they might need. I'm planning on a 12x12 run covered with tin roofing. I hear that chicken math is a real problem and want to be prepared incase I catch a case of it. Those are 2x4's

So, thumb rules say six chicks need 6 sq ft of free ventilation. If those are 2x6s for your rafter framing, you get 1 sq ft for each 2.25 linear feet of opening (approx). 8' pf opening on one side is about 3.5 sq feet of vent. Same on the other. Total is 7 sq ft, thumb rules satisfied.

If framing is 2x4, consider "lofting" above your wall divider, to allow that vent space to be used as well, so you benefit from the full length. Again, thumb rules satisfied.

and, after a season or two, or if you add more birds, you can always install an elevated ridge vent, and add yet more venting (and a better airflow pattern) - as long as it isn't blocked by snow accumulation.

I was thinking about putting vents in the top of the peak front and back. And if I have to I think I can open up all along the over hangs on the sides.

This is a good plan, but in re: vents, don't use those louvered metal shed vents because you need square FEET, not square inches.

OK so no need to add vents at the peaks front and back?

Yes, you do need those vents. Heat and ammonia both rise so the air that comes in the open soffits needs to exit at the roof peak.

airflow-crayon-png.3007334

Think air FLOW -- moving the stale, stinky, hot, moisture-laden air out so that clean, fresh air can come in.

And yes, you still need that in the winter -- just keep it up above the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Working on the ventilation today. I will have a total 12 22" long x 2 1/4" high holes in the overhangs. Next question. 1/2 or 1/4 hardware cloth to cover the openings?

Attachments

• 20220415_122337.jpg
    20220415_122337.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 4
Working on the ventilation today. I will have a total 12 22" long x 2 1/4" high holes in the overhangs. Next question. 1/2 or 1/4 hardware cloth to cover the openings?

Whichever is cheaper - 1/2" is the usual. There are few critters (if any) which can climb up the wall of a coop, then attempt to defeat hardware cloth on the bottom of the rafters which are strong enough to defeat either wire guage, or small enough to have a chance at penetrating otherwise. Basically, you are keeping small rodents out. Not larger digging animals where the 1/2" with its thicker wire guage is more important.

OK so I opened up all the spaces inbetween the rafters. They are 2x4's. I have 12 openings that are 22" long and 2.25" tall. If my math is correct that's only 4.12 sq ft of ventilation. Looks like I will have to add some extra openings at the top of the coop if what everyone is telling me about 1 sq ft per chick is correct. Im not planning on redoing the roof just yet but when i do i will add a ridge vent. Is my brain thinking the right way?

Attachments

• 20220415_110156.jpg
    20220415_110156.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220415_122337.jpg
    20220415_122337.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220415_152539.jpg
    20220415_152539.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 4
OK so I opened up all the spaces inbetween the rafters. They are 2x4's. I have 12 openings that are 22" long and 2.25" tall. If my math is correct that's only 4.12 sq ft of ventilation. Looks like I will have to add some extra openings at the top of the coop if what everyone is telling me about 1 sq ft per chick is correct. Im not planning on redoing the roof just yet but when i do i will add a ridge vent. Is my brain thinking the right way?

2.25" tall? Dimensions on a 2x4 should be 1.5 x 3.5. Did they cut bird's beaks and set the rafters flat? I mean, yeah, that's the way its supposed to be done, and a sign of classic, old fashioned workmanship, but its wasted labor in a shed that size with as much framing as they did. Also, you aren't supposed to cut away more than 1/3 of the material in a wooden structural element (another one of those "thumb rules"), and yet... It sounds as if they did (just barely).

But yes, your math is correct. Add a ridge vent when you next work on the roof.

Until then, you are *probably* ok - just monitor for moisture and heat gain. Inside of coop should be within a couple degrees of outside of coop, and feel as dry. If you start getting an ammonia odor, that's a sign that either:

* You aren't keeping up with droppings clean up
* You don't have enough air exchange
* Both

Back
Top Bottom