Venting about being made to move out of my house -- UPDATE! GOOD NEWS!

By law they cant make you move. I have a friend that is renting a house that the owner is way behind on payments. So she knows its only a matter of time. But she cant afford to move so shes going to make to where the bank pays for her to move out. I'm not sure what your lease was , so if you have a lease i would make her stick to it. I am in southern California, but there are houses for rent I see often. I saw one in old narc area for 1500 a month. The one across the street from me is a rental its over 6k footage and 2k a month. But renters love it not sure they will ever leave. They just asked for help finding a horse so think they plan on being around
lol.png

We rented before buying this house it was cheap rent but house had some unwanted company. I was counting the days to get out of that house.
barnie.gif

Are you in a position to ask your landlord about a land contract purchase? If the market is slow in your area, perhaps they would consider doing it that way to sell the house and keep the income coming in. I know most people would just want to sell it, not really caring HOW they did it. Just a thought.

edited to include :

A land contract (sometimes known as a “contract for deed” or an “installment sale agreement”) is a contract between a seller and buyer of real property in which the seller provides financing to buy the property for an agreed-upon purchase price and the buyer repays the loan in installments. Under a land contract, the seller retains the legal title to the property, while permitting the buyer to take possession of it for most purposes other than legal ownership. The sale price is typically paid in periodic installments, often with a balloon payment at the end to make the timelength of payments shorter than a corresponding fully amortized loan without a final balloon payment. When the full purchase price has been paid including any interest, the seller is obligated to convey legal title to the property to the buyer.[1] An initial down payment from the buyer to the seller is usually also required by a land contract.[1] The legal status of land contracts varies from region to region.[1]

Since a land contract specifies the sale of a specific item of real estate between a seller and buyer, a land contract can be considered a special type of real estate contract. In the usual, more conventional real estate contracts, a seller does not provide a loan to the buyer; the contract either does not specify a loan or includes provisions for a loan from a different "third party" lender, usually a financial institution in practice. When third party lenders are involved, typically a lien called a mortgage or trust deed is placed on the property so that the value of the property is used as collateral until the loan is paid in full.

Last edited:
That's awful!
hit.gif
I'm glad that you at least get to take your chickens with you, though. I'm sorry, but I don't know of any place near me that would be up for rent. Maybe somebody else knows a house with a garden plot for rent.

I'm a landlord and sometimes they CAN make you move....

It all depends on several things:

1. Your lease & how its written for these types of things..
2. Your laws in your area that landlords have to follow.
3. The inclusions/exclusions in the law/lease that talks about houses being sold etc.

THEY CAN & should try to find a buyer of the house who is an investor and is willing to let you stay. Trust me, it is so much easier
to sell a house to an investor who wants INSTANT rent..rather than an investor who has to buy it then pay money out of pocket to FIND
a renter..

However; I wouldnt pack up and move right away due to them not having a potential buyer. Even if they DID have a buyer; there are inspections,
closings and yes you would have to move at closing date UNLESS its an investor who you have spoken with before the closing date that says you can stay.

I think you should just keep your house clean/presentable and ck your lease to see how long of notice you have to be given for "inspections" and "property/rental
showings"..

We have a 24 hr notice for our tenants and a zero notice if there is an emergent situation: ie; robbery, fire, flood or them calling and saying somethings broke..then
we say ok we'll be there XX time..

GL! I really hope this works out for you!

Quote:
Well, this will be "goodbye, dirt". There are 11 rows that are 12 feet in length. It's about 1/3 of the backyard.

I know it's just a rental, but this is our HOME. I know it's just the ghetto, but it's our HOME. It's where we rest at night and where we have meals, family gatherings, grow our food, and for me, this is also where I do my job. It just feels like being kicked in the gut to have it just ripped out from us like this without a choice on our part.

Are you in a position to ask your landlord about a land contract purchase? If the market is slow in your area, perhaps they would consider doing it that way to sell the house and keep the income coming in. I know most people would just want to sell it, not really caring HOW they did it. Just a thought.

Good luck to you.... you are in my prayers.
hugs.gif

Is this the same as IL calls a "Contract for Deed" place??? Thats a fantastic idea!!

How fast are houses selling in your area?? Being in California, I suspect, if they don't price it well, it may take a good 6 months to a year to sell. While it isn't fun to live under the pressure of knowing you MAY have to move in 45 to 60 days, you may be able to use the time wisely, eat your produce and save your money.

If you don't mind moving further south, some of the foothill communities are more affordable. We are renting a 2,000 sq ft mobile home (2 bd/2br) on 5 acres, a seasonal creek, critter pasture for under $800/month. Of course we are a good 30 minutes from a decent priced grocery store and the cost of gas is bad right now, but we love it.

Quote:
Actually, your post sounded knowledgeable and informative. Thank you!

It is not a matter of whether or not they can MAKE us move. I have a very good rapport with our landlady. I don't want her to evict us and have that on our records (that's how she CAN *MAKE* us move), and she doesn't want that, either--that would be very costly for her and her husband. She has another house down in Stockton she's willing to move us to as soon as that tenant moves out, but fowl are an absolute no-no in Stockton, even though the landlady has no problem with us keeping the chooks there. From what I understand, it's fairly well-enforced there, more so than here. Lewis would have to change jobs, but I wouldn't. We really can live anywhere, as long as there's broadband or DSL (high speed) internet access (can't be satellite or dialup). So in a way it's a blessing... just a SERIOUS inconvenience AND a heartbreak.

She just needs to sell one of their properties, and ours is worth the most. She has asked us to hang in and stay here until it sells. We probably have until May to make something happen, so she's giving us lots of notice and working with us. It's not going to get ugly if we can help it. She even sent me an e-mail today saying she is going to talk to some of her property managers and see if anyone has something with property and fruit trees, etc. She's really trying hard to work with us, and I really respect her. They've been good landlords to us, and she's also very into self-sufficient living and likes the fact that we have a garden and chickens.

So this isn't one of those yucky landlords/nasty tenant situations. It's just one of those things that is a result of our economy. And we're at the bottom of the food chain here.

Back
Top Bottom