Vermicomposting

nvdirtfreak

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Hello! I am interested in vermicomposting. I was already considering composting due to having 11 chickens approximately 22 weeks old and not wanting to let their manure go to waste, but I also was considering raising worms to supplement their diet. Does anyone else do this? Is it fairly easy or time-consuming? Would I have to use a worm bin or can I simply add worms to a compost pile? It seems like the ultimate form of recycling - the chickens feed the worms, the worms feed the chickens, and both feed me (via eggs and fertilizer for gardnening).

Any info/advice/resources anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated! I have a difficult time "Google"-ing these things sometimes because I want a real perspective from a real person.

Thanks again!

I don't know what "vermicomposting" is, but I compost all the litter and manure from my birds. I would be hesitant to grow earthworms for feeding, however, because they serve as intermediate hosts for some parasitic worms that infect chickens. I know that chickens eat them while foraging, but I can see where cultivating them could be problematic. I just pile the shavings and manure in a pile off to the side of a clearing, the chickens turn and spread it, and I pile it back up with the tractor. I have plenty of "black gold" to use in my planting beds.

gardenweb.com has an extensive vermicomposting forum. I've had an indoor wormbin for fridge garbage for a few years. It's pretty low maintenance. You can do outdoor setups too for manure. If you get into wormin' you are likely to get too attached to your herd to feed them to the chickens though.

I don't know what "vermicomposting" is, but I compost all the litter and manure from my birds. I would be hesitant to grow earthworms for feeding, however, because they serve as intermediate hosts for some parasitic worms that infect chickens. I know that chickens eat them while foraging, but I can see where cultivating them could be problematic. I just pile the shavings and manure in a pile off to the side of a clearing, the chickens turn and spread it, and I pile it back up with the tractor. I have plenty of "black gold" to use in my planting beds.
You don't use earthworms for vermicomposting... I mean you could but they aren't the most effecient worm to use by any means. You want red wrigglers.

OP I thought I had blogged on the subject but just for you I will create a blog now with all the necassary information I would think you would need/want to get started than I'll come back and link it here =)

Back
Top Bottom