Vertical (gravity) vs. horizontal (spring loaded) watering nipples

I just got some H-nipples but my 3 & 4 week olds haven't quite figured it out yet....but they can't figure out the cups either.
I too worry about them being dehydrated so offer other water a couple times a day, which they guzzle.

Only thing about the H-nipples that I thought rather odd, is that they were advertised as being 1/8" NPT, but obviously are not a typical NPT angle, tho they do screw into a typical NPT thread just fine.

You have to remember the #1 rule for teaching birds how to drink from a new type drinker.

Rule # 1
Remove all other sources of water!

Had this PM conversation and thought I'd share it here as it would help other people looking for info:
The tapered thread design allows you to use them as a push in, 1/8" pipe thread, 1/2" tubing or drill 3/8" hole and screw in. I thought the same thing but after contacting them this is what I was told.

Makes sense...I was a little upset when I first laid eyes on them as they are definitely not NPT.
But when I tested them on a NPT fitting I was amazed they threaded in, and back out, so well...very nice.

You should put that info in the discussion thread so others can see it if they wonder too.

I tried a 3/8 hole in a pop bottle, not a very clean hole tho, and it wouldn't seal even with Teflon tape.
Used a 5/16 hole in a HDPE juice jug, much cleaner hole, pushed and turned and it sealed fine...nice hard plastic (I wonder what it is?) on the nipple forms threads in the softer plastic nicely.

I think that a lot of people at first try to make them real tight when snug seals them just fine. The tapered thread is I think a great idea.

Thanks for all replies!
Looking forward to using the H-nipples in a pvc pipe system with a recirculating pump and heated reservoir for our winters.

Last edited:
Took the older chicks a day and half to get the hang enough to get a head tipping back mouth full, but the level of the bottle did go down.
They still seem a bit frantic when using it, like its a mistake when they get a good beak full enough for a head tip.

The younger chicks just started today...they are a bit frantic too.

Maybe it's just my perception, but they do seem to struggle with it...and I'm not an anthropomorphic bleeding heart type....but I guess it keeps them busy.

Took the older chicks a day and half to get the hang enough to get a head tipping back mouth full, but the level of the bottle did go down.
They still seem a bit frantic when using it, like its a mistake when they get a good beak full enough for a head tip.

The younger chicks just started today...they are a bit frantic too.

Maybe it's just my perception, but they do seem to struggle with it...and I'm not an anthropomorphic bleeding heart type....but I guess it keeps them busy.
It does work their brains a bit at first. I used to worry about it but I've transitioned so many batches of chicks to the horizontal nipple now that I just let them figure it out. They always do and their pens are healthier environments without wet bedding.

Yeah, I imagine both me and the chicks need to get used to it.
Never had a problem with wet bedding, but it sure is nice not have to change out the water every day.
My babies are messy with the shavings. They were always kicking it into their waterer and the water spread out from there. The bedding lasts a lot longer with the HN.

Quote: I use sand/PDZ (4:1) for bedding, works good! I kept the waterer elevated but it did get some sand in it.
*I* spilled the water jug today (no cap) reaching in with the sifter.....luckily the box is lined with plastic, just scooped out the wet sand to dry in a shallow pan.
The younger chicks have figured out the HN pretty well. Nice not to have to rinse out that waterer every day.

Getting some day olds next week should start them right out with the horizontal nipples or give them a day or two with a fountain to make darn sure they're hydrated after their shipping??

I use sand/PDZ (4:1) for bedding, works good! I kept the waterer elevated but it did get some sand in it.
*I* spilled the water jug today (no cap) reaching in with the sifter.....luckily the box is lined with plastic, just scooped out the wet sand to dry in a shallow pan.
The younger chicks have figured out the HN pretty well. Nice not to have to rinse out that waterer every day.

Getting some day olds next week should start them right out with the horizontal nipples or give them a day or two with a fountain to make darn sure they're hydrated after their shipping??
I've been thinking about switching to the sand/PDZ. They don't fill up on sand? That's the only thing I'm not sure about although I've read alot of good things about it.

For shipped chicks, I always let them have a cup drinker for 3 days to make sure they get re-hydrated without having to learn how to use a different type of drinker. I then treat them just like my home hatched chicks and switch them to the horizontal nipple. The exception would be if there is a weak chick among the shipped babies. In that case, I let them keep the cup for longer.

Back
Top Bottom