Very bad flystrike

Jul 26, 2023
My dear girl Dora got flystrike and the wound is pretty bad. All the maggots are out but I dont know what to do about the big hole that is left. she keeps popping diareeah right into the wound under the vent and she seems very tired. I dont know how too keep it from being infected.

She seems like she is in so much pain, I hate to see her like this. Any answers are much appreciated!

Welcome to BYC!

So sorry about your hen. :hugs
Could you get pictures please? What have you done so far for treatment?
Thank you so much! I hate that this has to be my first post!

I gave her a bath yesterday her with epson salt and used kind of a plastic syringe to remove all the maggots.

And she has been eating and sleeping inside. She has been drinking and popping into the wound non stop.

This is a photo from this morning before I gave her a bath.

Attachments

• IMG_20230727_084704.jpg
    IMG_20230727_084704.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 39
Pictures would be helpful. I would do a soak to her vent area at least once a day to keep it clean. Apply Neosporin ointment after each soak. Keep her separated. Is she eating and drinking?
Yes she is eating and drinking a lot! I have soaked her in a tub with epson salt and removed the maggots with a plastic syringe.

My family is going on vacation very soon and they are suggesting we have to put her down. But i really want her to be well.

Here is a picture of her before her bath this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20230727_084704.jpg
    IMG_20230727_084704.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 39
You will need to continue to check for maggots and remove any that appear. There may be eggs that will continue to hatch for several days. Clean it off well and flush it and apply some plain triple antibiotic ointment or plain neosporin to the wound to cover it completely and keep it moist. Reapply several times a day as needed to keep it covered in ointment, that will also help protect it from droppings and make it easier to clean them off. You will need to keep it clean. If none of the maggots made it into her abdominal cavity then she has a good chance to recover. That she is eating and drinking well are good signs. She will need to be kept in a crate or other safe place where no flies can get to her until she's healed, and so that other birds cannot peck her wound and make it worse. This may take some time to heal, so if you are going on vacation you will need to have someone to do all that while you are gone, and to watch for signs of infection.

Back
Top Bottom