Very Bad Hen to Rooster Ratio

Grumpy1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
North Georgia
I am new here and have been reading about having 10 hens for every rooster. I have 3 roosters and 2 hens. Haven't noticed any problems yet, and the hens have been laying since December. Only the largest rooster was crowing, and he does it a lot, until this past weekend I noticed a different voice starting to crow. What do you all suggest? I have room for some more hens, but I hate to get rid of my boys. They are regular old game chickens. Any suggestion are appreciated,
Thanks, Ken

If they are game then eventually they will fight. You do need more hens. Are they free range or in a pen? If they are in a pen together then the dominate one will try and kill the others at some point. If they are running loose then they sometimes establish territories. At least running loose the subordinates can run away,

Going to have to have alot more hens...they will fight over the girls and may even kill them from overmating....

With just two hens, you also run the risk of the hens going bald due to over mating. You could always make a batchlor pen for the lower roosters and give the hens saddles if you notice feather damage starting to happen.

It depends on the roos how they will fight and when they wil fight really..

I've had some roos get fed up with each other by the time they were 4 months old and fight till both were bloody messes, then I've also had roosters cohabitate for over a year together, fight pretty bad, and live together again in peace for a long while... I have about 18 hens or so though and still a few get over mated, despite complete free range with no fences.

Ideally more girls or less guys would be good.

They are in a pen most of the time, I let them out on weekends when I am around to keep an eye on them. There is a HUGE hawk that circles whenever I let them out, but they stay under the bushes when he's around. It's amazing how they know just what to do.
The hens seem OK so far, but I think the roosters are just starting to "get busy"
wink.png
. I am planning to go to a local livestock auction soon to get some more hens. Any suggestions on what to look for? I am liking the eggs every day.

Anyone interested in a couple of roosters?

They are in a pen most of the time, I let them out on weekends when I am around to keep an eye on them. There is a HUGE hawk that circles whenever I let them out, but they stay under the bushes when he's around. It's amazing how they know just what to do.
The hens seem OK so far, but I think the roosters are just starting to "get busy"
wink.png
. I am planning to go to a local livestock auction soon to get some more hens. Any suggestions on what to look for? I am liking the eggs every day.

Anyone interested in a couple of roosters?

Make sure if you get new chickens from anywhere that you quarantine them from your flock for at least 30 days, I believe that is the correct time frame.

edited to add: your hens will get worn out and down with that ratio. I'd eliminate the roos down to just one. They are happier and healthier with just one roo with that small a flock.

Last edited:
Whatever kind you decide on please remember to keep them quarantined away from your birds for atleast a month to guard against your chickens coming down with a disease...

You need to look for signs of discharge from their beaks or nostrils ......no foaming eyes...and just because they "look" healthy still does not mean you shouldn't quarantine.....look them over for mites and lice...lost feathers could be from overmating or bugs......the lost feathers from overmating will return if you don't have too many roosters...the bugs you would have to treat.....

Back
Top Bottom