Very close flock mates attack newest member after a year

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
My Silkie hen hatched two Dutch Bantam hens approximately 2 years ago. I decided to let Bella (Silkie hen) start a new flock since she was part of a large fowl flock before. I hatched a Serama about 1.5 to 2 weeks after the Dutch Bantams but didn't let the Silkie brood her because of the age difference. The Serama was brooded by me in very close proximity to the Silkie and her Dutch. So these 4 girls have always known each other and been around each other. I ended up integrating my Serama with the 3 girls just before they turned a year old. Because they continued to be very close and mostly just allowed Marionette around them but she didn't get to go under the Silkie (the Silkie covered the Dutch hens even when they were a year old+) or cuddle with them (they still cuddle very often). Knowing that distance was there, I continued to bring Marionette (Serama) in my shop to sleep at night. This worked out well. Out of convenience for myself, I decided to try leaving Marionette in with the other 3 overnight starting Thursday night. Things were going really well until this morning. Marionette was attacked because she was unable to escape far enough away from them. Thankfully she wasn't injured too bad. Looks like they bit her comb and pecked her in the face and head. I also noticed a couple of nicks on her feet. (yes I am 100% sure it was the girls and not a mouse or anything like that) So I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this. Marionette has been in the same coop as the other girls for over a year now but just not overnight. I usually wouldn't get Marionette to take her in the shop until 10pm or so, but she would always be waiting for me on the roosting bar outside in the run, while the other girls were in the coop. I'm sure it's difficult to tell exactly why they did this, but just hoping to find some ideas. Space is not the issue here either. Marionette was terrified to go back in once I picked her up this morning. I wanted to monitor her anyway in case they were attacking her because something was wrong with her so she's stayed away from them today. I'm assuming that if she's able to go back during the day, I will always be taking her out at night. I won't be trying to leave her there even during the day until I can watch closely, if I ever decide to try again. If she's able to get to the run, they don't seem to mind as much. They just don't like her being in the henhouse/coop. I'm considering starting her her own flock of Seramas at this point. Thank you for anything you can add.

Just in case anyone I've spoken with before is wondering, I have spoken with many people here about my Serama, Marionette. She is a human aggressive little hen but not towards other birds. I think she wants to dominate me and that is where her aggression stems from. She can be EXTREMELY sweet to me too. She's been really sweet all day today so it's not aggressive behavior all the time. It's almost like she just acts out if she feels up to it.

Last edited:
Chickens can get territorial about there coop and roost. I see it with my own flock and the new comers " young chickens". It's like watching a little battle for there preferred spot. But I'm there to help them in there spot to avoid problems.

New chicken roosting in the coop with the old one always has issues. I haven't found a solution to there behavior.

Chickens can get territorial about there coop and roost. I see it with my own flock and the new comers " young chickens". It's like watching a little battle for there preferred spot. But I'm there to help them in there spot to avoid problems.

New chicken roosting in the coop with the old one always has issues. I haven't found a solution to there behavior.
I should have added that all 4 of these girls went to this coop at the same time. Marionette just wasn't sleeping there. So I guess she's new as an overnight mate, but I did not think this would be that much of an issue after more than a year of being together most of the time. In reality, they're asleep whenever she is taken into my shop, but I guess maybe they've never really wanted her in the coop. It's such a shame.

Chickens require constant familiarity with there surroundings includes flock mates day and night. For them to understand there no need to be threatened and act out on it.

So knowing that, you have to watch them and play it by ear to keep the peace.

If I didn't raise the chicks with the adults I think bedtime would be a bigger headache in the coop, ending in a bloody mess.

Your serama hen is at a disadvantage, so it would make sense to give her a flock of her own.

I’m in the process of doing this now, and have done it many times. Generally I wait until it is dark so they cannot see and place the younger ones on the perch with the older ones. I never place them on the top perch, though. That is where the top of the pecking order sleep. Depending on how many birds I have at the time I’ll either place them on the second or third perch. If the second perch has several birds on it I go for third, but it it only has one or two I’ll place them on it but on the opposite end.

The first step is getting them used to her presence, once they are they’ll generally figure it out on their own.

Back
Top Bottom