Very Cold this week, should I be worried?

I would be concerned with the chickens in Texas because they don't have the time chickens in Canada have to acclimate. but that is just my $.02

That was what I was thinking. Maybe just letting them sleep in our bed is the best bet.
hmm.png
Or the garage. Not sure. If their water freezes, I may get a little clucky. Beth

-25 here this morning. Chickens preferred to stay in the coop ! Outside water was frozen solid so I brought out a bucket of hot water and put in the coop. This cold spell is suppose to last a few days. The girls seemed to be alright. I have plastic on the windows and they have plenty of ventilation.

I hear ya! This is my first year with chickens and I've determined that I'm going electric-less! warm water in the morning, and acclimated chickens.

That said, now I'm sitting in the house feeling very sorry for my cold chickies. 17 degrees tonight. 7 degrees tomorrow night. They have a nice breeze free coop to go into but right now they are sitting outside on the perches, so I guess they are ok!

TonightDec 5

26.png
24°FObserved High12:05 am
17°F​
Cloudy​
CHANCE OF SNOW:
10%

WIND:
N at 14 mph
FriDec 6

30.png
25°​
7°​
AM Clouds / PM Sun​
CHANCE OF PRECIP:
10%

WIND:
N at 12 mph
SatDec 7

34.png
25°​
19°​
Mostly Sunny​
CHANCE OF PRECIP:
0%

WIND:
ENE at 9 mph
SunDec 8

14.png
26°​
12°​
Light Snow​
CHANCE OF SNOW:
70%

WIND:
ENE at 11 mph
MonDec 9

30.png
21°​
10°​
Partly Cloudy​
CHANCE OF SNOW:
10%

WIND:
NW at 12 mph

Last edited:
-25C last night and one of the hens stayed outside the coop all night on a roost! All are fine and running around today.

no heat required here

People tend to anthropomorphize their animals (especially pets). Your chickens are a lot tougher than you dealing with the cold. The heat and humidity here in north Texas are far more dangerous to them than our mild winters. They do not need to "acclimate". They are wearing a full body down coat.

Back
Top Bottom