VERY early egg laying!

I am thinking that you want them to lay eggs early, this way you can get up, send the kids out to collect breakfast and be done with it. I'm just sayin.--------------

I found my first egg today, my girls will be 6 months old in 20 days so i haven't started them on layer food yet. I will start tomorrow but I have 2 questions
1. Is it okay for the 3 roo's I have to eat the layer feed?
2. will the first egg hatch? it is perfect just small
thx for any help

Wow! Fertile eggs! I'm jealous. We're not allowed to have roos in the city.

I think you can check wether the eggs are fertile or not by candling them, see the BYC how-to pages.

Quote:
Thx, I'll try that. I was wondering if I should pinhole it and save the egg. This ex-city girl gets excited about weird stuff
big_smile.png

Good luck hatching them! I'd give anything for new chickens.c Feathers and Eggie are getting really boring.

I think you should put a nest box in your coop even if it's along with the one outside of it. If there is light around from living in town chickens may get off the roosts at night to eat, drink, and lay eggs. When I leave a heat lamp on all night there will always be some off the roosts when I check but majority sleeping. Being in the middle of nowhere dark is dark here. I've had nights I literally couldn't see my hand held out in front of my face so without a light on my chickens stay on their roosts unless there's a bright moon. I would much prefer they laid at night. They are much more likely to lay in a nest box while in the coop than once they get out to free range the property. Some people purposely don't let their chickens out until noon so they will mostly lay in the nest boxes instead of randomly outside.

My 6 RSL's start laying as soon as I open the door to the run. I have 2 nesting boxes but they all line up to use the same one! I sometimes see two girls in the same box with another next to the box waiting for them to finish! "Come on lets get the egg rolling!" I have tried to put one in the other nesting box but she just gets right out. My girls are just funny!

Back
Top Bottom