Very FIRST try with an incubator--Duck eggs (I think)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by petitesphinx, Feb 15, 2009.

1. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    I found the mother load of eggs in our bushes and we have been searching for months for where the ducks and geese are laying. Wow! We finally found them!! It was like Christmas on V-day!! hehehe

I fired up the incubator for a whole /night to get the temp right and saw that duck eggs hatch from 28-35 days.

Which is it??

They didn't fit in the turner, they kept falling out and hitting the metal heat part, so I took them out, labeled XO on them and turn them 4 times a day.

What else do I need to do?

Oh, another question: I found 4 eggs and put them in on Thursday and put 7 more on Saturday....how will they hatch out-on the same day, or did I mess up??

Thanks!!!

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    How are you going to tell what eggs you put in on Thursday and which on Saturday? At what temp are you running, humidity?? How old were the eggs you found? And no they will not hatch the same day. If you eggs were older than seven days your hatch will be adversely affected. As far as to the number of days to hatch what kind of duck eggs are these, different breeds will hatch differently.

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Duck eggs should hatch on day 28, although you may leave eggs in bator for up to 35 days for late hatchers. Since you do not know how old the eggs are, be careful for smelly eggs, duck eggs can really get rank if invaded with bacteria. I would not worry about the diffrence in incubation times, three days will not make that much difference, just count the days by the eggs you put in on thursday, stop turning on day 25 and go from there. What kind of duck do you have?

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    28 to 35 days,,,, pick a day..

I would give them all the max time

the later set ones will hatch later if they are the same kind of egg..

you have a real screwed up mess.
    treat it like a normal hatch and hope for the best.. this is the kind of situation that stories are made of..

5. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    We have Muscovies and Runners, the Runners laid smaller greenish eggs and these were huge whitish eggs...my neighbor who's a true farmer said they weren't Goose eggs...so..I'm crossing my fingers for Muscovies....

I'll post pics today so maybe you all can tell what kind they are....My luck, I found a buzzard's nest or something..ha [​IMG]

I had my friend-the wife of the true farmer look at them, she put a flash light up to them and said they weren't rotten and to try it out.

As far as how long they were there..I have no clue.... =-(

But I never saw the eggs there many weeks before and I just recently started seeing the ducks breeding. (At first I thought they were fighting and tried breaking them apart--I'm a dork...)

;-)

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by