Very high mortality rates with my chicks

chicksinthailand

Chirping
Aug 26, 2021
I have a mixed flock of Sikie, Polish, and Japanese Bantams.
I started out letting the hens raise their chicks outside, and lost about 90%. I had some that made it to 2-3 months, got sick, and started dying. I had those examined postmortem, and they came back with IBV and Avian Leucosis.
Then I changed to incubating inside, and brooding inside to 6 weeks, then moving to a separate pen in a completely new area outside. The most recent batch indoors was 13 chicks. I lost about 3 in the first 6 weeks indoors, and then over the next 6 weeks outdoors I lost 5 more- 3 to a mystery illness, 2 to wet pox. Another that made it past 3 months just died yesterday, leaving me with 4 from that batch.
Excluding the two that died of wet pox, all were fine in the evening, were found lethargic in in the morning in their brooder box, had yellowish diarrhea with green solid bits (they are raised on grass outside), and died within 24 hours from onset of symptoms.
I feed non medicated starter supplemented with garlic, neem, and moringa. I alternate between plain water, vitamin supplemented water and aloe/thyme infused water. I give probiotics a couple times in the first 6 weeks. The feed is fresh. The brooder is kept clean and sterilized between batches. I give amprolium and withhold vitamins after they have spent a couple days outside for cocci, (I lost chicks to that in the past, so I know they are being exposed). I have tried treating the sick ones with sulfamet, tylosin, neomycin, and oil of oregano, (each individually on different birds) with no success. I have kept all these far away from my adult birds and the area where the chicks that had IBV and leucosis were.
I thought quarantine measures and combining natural and medical treatments would reduce my mortality rates, but they haven't shifted at all. Now I'm wondering if what I have is vertical transmission of one or both of those diseases in the eggs. My hens have had no acute illness lately, but some sicknesses have circulated in my flock with a few fatalities among adult birds. I don't know if these diseases can be transmitted through the egg while the hen appears to be healthy.
I'm open to suggestions for trying to reduce mortalities, I'm really not sure of what else I can be doing. Or if it is a matter of vertical transmission then I may have to stop hatching out chicks from my hens. Any ideas are appreciated!

omg me too but I different reasons. I got 6 from my local farm store (rural king)l big mistake ( no hate but I guess a bad batch). 2 died within the first 4 days from a respitpry issue, and one more today. I’m so sorry you are going through this, i feel your pain. I hate how things like this happen and I’m not too good with the medical. I give my chickens tetracycline for respitory and it helps with other things. Good luck and do you have pictures of your 4? And also your doing a great job with keeping them healthy it’s not your fault thos is happening and I’m sure you know that already lol. Hope Some cuteness can help a little!
9868B5B3-BC60-4B7D-AF1F-90FE46B9DC75.jpeg
62DD0C20-3F92-4AE3-A2EA-69F39A3A8BC7.jpeg
0E51A7DB-60FC-4567-B018-AF72C2BD2445.jpeg

If your not wanting to feed medicated then you should keep inside until 16-20 weeks. Unfortunately it’s almost impossible for baby chick to recover from coccyx and they are also being exposed to wild birds and their pathogens. I have been putting out alot of deterrents to keep the wild birds to keep them away from my chicken pens and grass areas for my free rangers. I had an outbreak of salmonella this summer and it was a complete nightmare to nurse my turken hens back to health and was advised that it was probably due to the wild birds hanging out in the trees around the chickens pens and grassy area.

What your chicks have with the yellow diarrhea and green bits sounds like salmonella with some undigested grass.The best treatment for coccyx is an old school remedy of plain bleach and water—I know it may sound crazy but it works every time.

Salmonella can be passed in ovo and hens with IBV can be Asymptomatic and continue to spread the virus for up to 5 months

My pet chicken has great articles on both of these issues. I pasted links below. So sorry your having to go through this.

https://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/All-about-Salmonella-disease-H272.aspx

https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...Avian-Infectious-Bronchitis-disease-H351.aspx

I hope these links can be helpful

Good luck

sorry for your losses.

I am not an expert and I will tell you my experience. at the very beginning I tried to raise chickens the way you do: garlic, oregano, vitamins, etc. I had losses too. I stopped doing that and I provide them a good (medicated) feed and fresh water every day. they are doing much better now. they do get some treats, but not much. fowl pox is lethal to young chicks. we have a lot of mosquitoes here and I cannot control that. lost some chicks to it. vertical transmission is another thing that can happen. try to get eggs from a healthy flock. good luck.

Thank you all for your support and good advice! I live in Thailand and I cannot find medicated feed anywhere. The feed I have has vitamin supplements, but no medicine. I did look up the medicated feeds that are available in the states, and I saw that it's usually amprolium that added. I was hoping if I used amprolium in their water once I put them outside that I could build up their resistance to cocci. I don't think I've had any deaths from cooci in the last two batches. (Based on no bloody poops.)
Thanks for mentioning Salmonella, I had considered E. coli, but not Salmonellosis. The ones outside are getting sulfamet for a few days since their buddied died suddenly. So far so good.
I do have wild birds, pigeons, jungle fowl and random street chickens constantly getting in. They are not able to enter my juvenile pens, but their poop can. I actually hired someone to come catch the pigeons, I'm waiting for him to show up. Apparently, people eat them around here, so I don't feel bad about having them killed... Can't do anything about the other birds, tho.
I have noticed in my hatch from last week, (started the eggs before the apocalypse hit the last batch), I gave probiotics right away and I have had not one pasty butt in 20 chicks. they are a week old now. That was promising.
Thanks again, I'll try to get a picture of my babies later...

Thank you all for your support and good advice! I live in Thailand and I cannot find medicated feed anywhere. The feed I have has vitamin supplements, but no medicine. I did look up the medicated feeds that are available in the states, and I saw that it's usually amprolium that added. I was hoping if I used amprolium in their water once I put them outside that I could build up their resistance to cocci. I don't think I've had any deaths from cooci in the last two batches. (Based on no bloody poops.)
Thanks for mentioning Salmonella, I had considered E. coli, but not Salmonellosis. The ones outside are getting sulfamet for a few days since their buddied died suddenly. So far so good.
I do have wild birds, pigeons, jungle fowl and random street chickens constantly getting in. They are not able to enter my juvenile pens, but their poop can. I actually hired someone to come catch the pigeons, I'm waiting for him to show up. Apparently, people eat them around here, so I don't feel bad about having them killed... Can't do anything about the other birds, tho.
I have noticed in my hatch from last week, (started the eggs before the apocalypse hit the last batch), I gave probiotics right away and I have had not one pasty butt in 20 chicks. they are a week old now. That was promising.
Thanks again, I'll try to get a picture of my babies later...

when the chicks hatch give them water with little honey for the first 24 hours. after 3-4 days give them water with ACV for 24 hours. sesame seeds with feed for the first 3-4 days. that helps them grow stronger. from time to time give again honey/ACV water and sesame seeds.

I started out letting the hens raise their chicks outside, and lost about 90%. I had some that made it to 2-3 months, got sick, and started dying. I had those examined postmortem, and they came back with IBV and Avian Leucosis.
Then I changed to incubating inside, and brooding inside to 6 weeks, then moving to a separate pen in a completely new area outside. The most recent batch indoors was 13 chicks. I lost about 3 in the first 6 weeks indoors, and then over the next 6 weeks outdoors I lost 5 more- 3 to a mystery illness, 2 to wet pox. Another that made it past 3 months just died yesterday, leaving me with 4 from that batch.
I have kept all these far away from my adult birds and the area where the chicks that had IBV and leucosis were.
I thought quarantine measures and combining natural and medical treatments would reduce my mortality rates, but they haven't shifted at all. Now I'm wondering if what I have is vertical transmission of one or both of those diseases in the eggs.
Avian Leucosis is vertically and horizontally transmitted.
IBV can be vertically transmitted, but usually chicks die in the egg. Of course, it's horizontally transmitted too.
Antibiotics is not going to treat either one.

Not sure if hatching eggs from a different source will help. Since both diseases can be transmitted horizontally, any new birds you bring in will be exposed and I think you would still suffer losses.

@azygous has Leucosis in her flock and may be able to give you some tips for hatching.

Since you live where Fowl Pox is quite prevalent and a serious problem, consider vaccinating chicks, this may help with one problem.

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with all this.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Thanks for that, the antibiotics are for secondary infections, I thought with last one they might have e. coli going around, too. Another person suggested salmonella. The only vaccine I have been able to get here in Thailand is for Newcastle. I contacted the state office for agriculture and that's all they provide. I worked out the math and my total mortality rate (July 2021 to Nov 2021) was 81%. It was much higher among the Silkies and Polish, <90%.
I'll start adding sesame seeds for my newly hatched chicks. Anything to give them a boost.
I'm definitely not hatching anymore eggs for a while though, this lot will be an experiment and we'll see how it goes if I can improve things.

Pictures of my champs that have made it this far- they're not brilliant photos. I have 10 survivors total, 5 Silkies, 3 Polish Silkie cross, a Japanese Bantam Silkie cross, and a Japanese Bantam. Not all cooperated for the picture...

Attachments

• 59787.jpg
    59787.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 59783.jpg
    59783.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom