Very Ill Cockerel

MMelton67

Chirping
Jul 24, 2023
Southern Indiana
I've got another thread about coccidiosis but since that has been ruled out I need help with this guy.

warning graphic images below the description.

Yesterday morning I went out to move the flock from the inside space to outside for the day as I have been for almost two weeks now. The birds are in their 6th week. I have been treating for Coccidiosis for the previous 10 days (ending on the 30th) and all seemed fine. Yesterday morning I went out to move the flock from the inside space to outside for the day as I have been for almost two weeks now. And saw blood spatter on the concrete. I immediately started looking for a bird that had been bullied or possibly a rat or something that had gotten in. I immediately found my accidental male to be suffering from something. He was bloody and white froth around his vent and something was sticking out of it...or so it seemed. I immediately pulled him from the group and put him back in a brooder by himself and gave him fresh water. He did take the water. I put gloves on and went to trying to clean up what I was thinking was a pasty butt situation and realized that what was sticking out was fleshy. Like his cloaca was prolapsed? or something was prolapsed? I had just located a vet in town that said they could do a fecal float even though they normally don't work on fowl. So, I gathered a sample and went in with it. Along with that and the pictures I'd taken the doc sent me home with some penicillin shots to give him. The doc called a couple hours later and said the fecal test showed no coccidia or worms. So, he feels it's some sort of bacterial infection.

Pics from yesterday:
Bloody floor
1691075054862.jpeg

His vent, yesterday
1691075093195.jpeg

His face/beak. I think I saw some blood in his mouth.
1691075136875.jpeg

I was instructed to give the shot into the breast area, either intramuscular or subcutaneous would work according to the vet. When I went to do that I discovered his right breast area to be swollen and obviously filled with fluid. Here's two pics but not sure how obvious it looks in it.

Attachments

• 1691075337751.jpeg
    1691075337751.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 1691075377699.jpeg
    1691075377699.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 1691075912269.jpeg
    1691075912269.jpeg
    444.7 KB · Views: 6
Wash up the vent and get some more photos.

It does look like a prolapse and possibly it has been damaged due to picking.

Give him a good soaking in a warm epsom salts bath, pat dry and apply anti-inflammatory cream, oil/ointment or honey. Keep the tissue moist with your chosen ointment.

Work on hydration and offer him wet feed. Keep him separated so others don't pick at the vent and make sure flies are not getting on the tissue.

After doing research yesterday I realized he's got sour crap and the vent gleet/prolapse.

I am giving him the penicillin shots.

I started him on monistat (not easy, any tips on how to get a chicken to open it's beak willingly?)

I'd already tried soakings and cleanings of the vent area, he's reacting negatively to touching the prolapse so I'm trying to not be real aggressive. I got Espsom Salts yesterday and last nights soak was with that added.

I had isolated him immediately upon discovery. The brooders I built are made with 1/4" hardware cloth specifically to minimize fly access. I also have one of those fly traps that uses the sulfur compound as an attractant hung up about 30' away from where all the birds are.

The prolapse had retracted on the 3rd but back again worse yesterday morning. I just looked in on him and it's retracted some from yesterday evening. He was looking alert and watching the pullets in the tractor, fwiw.

I'm offering him water with Chick Boost added. Someone else has commented that was high is sodium but I'm figuring he's losing blood and other fluids so it can't hurt.

I had removed food but gave him a small portion of starter crumble last night that he's taken some of. I'll soften it today.

I can get honey, I have olive oil. I don't have any anti-inflammatory cream. Exactly what should that be?

Thank you for the feedback!

The white discharge is Urates and from the vent being prolapsed and damaged. Not likely Vent Gleet.

The Penicillin may help with infection, but it's very important to work on the vent to keep it cleaned and ointment applied so the tissue does not dry out.

You really need to get a good look to see if the tissue around the vent is torn as well and how much damage has been done. At some point, the tissue will need to go back inside if it's still exposed.

Anti-inflammatory cream (hydrocortisone) can be found at Walmart, CVS, etc.

Back
Top Bottom