Very large comb now flopped over and rotting underneath, any comb support to keep it up?

What Sjisty said plus if you put the sugar betadine mix on a thick piece of gauze and tape it to the comb but over the wound it should hold the comb up and keep the mix on the wound.

Hi Dudu!,

I have only just seen your post about the problem you are having with Aleandro...so sorry to hear of his problem.

I have a thought which may help him (before his surgery), if you can obtain two of the sponge type hair rollers ( take the plastic centre parts out of them ) and place one each side of his comb... secure with some micropore tape and this should allow for the wounded part to be exposed ( rather than flopping over to the damaged side )....his comb should be in an upright position and not flopping to either side!

Also has the advantage of not having any heavy weight...

Maybe worth a try....?

Wishing you and him all the best!

Let me know how he is....

Thank you also ChickensAreSweet (I agree 100% with your screen name!) and BarnChickyOO.

Indeed, at the moment his health is obviously THE most important thing (regardless of whether we'll be breeding him or not), so we will see how everything goes, and if it will have to be dubbed, we won't hesitate to have it done. I just hope and pray that he gets better and the comb is fit to be operated.

Was just wondering if there is a way to keep the comb up meanwhile, to have more air on the wound. You know, sort of like a Elizabethan collar for dogs, only of a different shape and function. But apparently it hasn't been invented yet for roosters, I guess....

Try some thin cardboard. Like christmas box type. Well maybe a little stronger than that, but flexiable. Cut a length of it to fit snugly around the base of the comb and tape the two ends together. It could be funnel shaped to accomodate the larger top of the comb, but the base will be small enough to not slip over the top of the comb. That's the best I can come up with on the spur of the moment.

Sad his comb falls to one side, cause else he would have had a very nice comb. More sunlight could indeed make the comb smaller, so I heard.
Is it a lavender (pearl grey) standard rooster? Maybe you can post some pics of your Minorcas in the Minorca thread.

Wow that is a HUGE comb. I would try anything to support on the non injured side to help hold it up, the curlers toilet paper tube taped on non ijury side seem good to me.

He is a very pretty roo, hope all goes well with him.

Is his infection from a wound,or is it a yeast infection from the skin being kept moist due to his comb laying down?

To keep comb up,you could try cutting a slit in the center of a piece of cardboard about 2-3" in length and approx 2" in width(depending on size of comb) fit comb into slit,just make sure cardboard does not extend over his head.

Last edited:
Also I wanted to add that if you attempt dubbing yourself I would definitely have some blood stop powder on hand (personally I don't know if I could do it myself since it is such a large comb but then I have never dubbed)- one of the posters on the above thread mentioned it. I have used blood stop powder before, though.

http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Blood_Stop_Powder_16oz/Veterinary_Wound_Care

What a unique beautiful rooster. I love the sponge curlers idea. Somebody was saying sugar and betadine solution which made me think of the much touted honey application. Honey is a natural antibiotic itself...you can find a ton of information on here as well as the web for its multiple uses one in which is skin infections. no doubt though the problem thereafter is getting that comb trained up. It does appear that your efforts are working for drying the wound up and I would venture to guess that once the wound is healed there may be some ease in getting the comb to stand back up again....but I think it needs help or training with the curler set up...you might need to secure it with a behind the wattle chin strap of some sort....Gosh he's beautiful...

I am sorry you were attacked on your own thread asking for help. It is clear you are trying to help this rooster along with many rescues. An abusive chicken owner would not be seeking vet advice as you have. Please rest your conscious. That's the last thing any of us need when we have a crisis with our animals.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom