Very lethargic and purple comb!

Lambaby

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
We walked into the run and noticed one of our hens was laying face down. She was limp, and her mouth was open, and she was breathing hard. So my first thought was heat stroke, because it was 118 here today. Thinking it was probably heat stroke, we brought her in the house and put her in a cool bath for a few minutes (as cool as the tap gets here) and laid her on a towel. She was willing to drink a tiny bit, but just keeps wanting to sleep. A couple times she has tried to lift her head up a bit. She is responsive to us. But we noticed the tips of her comb are purple, and with dehydration and heat, the comb is supposed to lighten up. We’ve checked for lice, mites, and egg binding, because I can’t really find anything on these symptoms. Here’s a video of her breathing right now, watch her neck. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• C2154D5B-BE2A-4E30-88B4-44B6E6F6C1E9.jpeg
    C2154D5B-BE2A-4E30-88B4-44B6E6F6C1E9.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 41
I have had chickens drop dead from the heat. Bringing her in house was a good idea as was the bath.. I would try not to shock her too much more if she is stressed. I couldn't see a video but if she is panting there could be something else going on. But honestly 118 is too much. I run a sprinker in fl when it gets High 90s. I know some people say it makes it muggy but it def cooled their run by 10 degrees. I know water rationing in west is an issue but you can do mister setting too. The red stars don't live that long too poor girls.are just breed to push out eggs non stop.

I have had chickens drop dead from the heat. Bringing her in house was a good idea as was the bath.. I would try not to shock her too much more if she is stressed. I couldn't see a video but if she is panting there could be something else going on. But honestly 118 is too much. I run a sprinker in fl when it gets High 90s. I know some people say it makes it muggy but it def cooled their run by 10 degrees. I know water rationing in west is an issue but you can do mister setting too. The red stars don't live that long too poor girls.are just breed to push out eggs non stop.
We have an evap cooler in their run, but 118 is just ridiculous 😔

Just updating, this morning she passed peacefully. I woke up and noticed she was having more shallow breaths. Her comb was even more purple. I just hope she didn’t pass anything to any of her sisters. Thank you everyone!

Back
Top Bottom