Very lethargic hen...won't eat!

HollyE

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
This started first thing yesterday morning. She's only 1 year old and is extremely lethargic. She moves very slowly and just stands a lot. She won't peck at anything and I can only get her to drink sugar water that I fold in front of her. I just checked to see if she was egg bound and I didn't feel a thing. She doesn't have any mites that I can see either. She has not laid either. I'm getting really worried!

Did you glove up and insert a finger into the vent? Coccidiosis can occur at the age if the hen is on different soil or if a new chicken has been added since there are at least 9 strains off cocci. Amprollium or brand names Corid and Ampromed are the usual treatment for 5-7 days. Put 1.5 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid in 1 gallon of water. Symptoms are lethargy, diarrhea, not eating, and puffing up or huddling. You may have to syringe some meds into her if she won't drink. The other thing I would worry about if not cocci would be a gizzard impaction, where she has swallowed something that won't go through the GI tract.

Well new update. I found her yesterday standing over 3 eggs. Two were hers and one was from another hen. I am thinking she is about to go broody but I am not sure? She stands a lot still and doesn't peck the ground. I also saw her sitting in the coop yesterday eating her feed. And I've seen her drinking plenty. Does that sound like she is going broody?? She isn't really sitting much yet but just acts sooo funny. She's very sweet and let's me handle her.

Back
Top Bottom