Very new to chickens

TammyLynn09

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2017
Hi everyone! While googling what breed of chickens we have visiting our property I found this forum. We live in the countey, and it seems our neighbor's decided they no longer feel the need to keep their chickens on their property. The flock appears to be 1 rooster and originally 8, now 7 hens. Ill get to that in a second. My husband and I have decided if the chickens are going to be on our property, we want to make sure theyre cared for so we've been giving feed and water and are planning to build a coop. Unfortunately it seems that 1 of the nesting hens had an encounter with 1 of our dogs and was unfortunately killed, leaving an orphaned chick. Also, yesterday, another rooster we've never seen showed up in the yard. Needless to say we are VERY new to all this, and doing the best we can with what we have.
Aside from trying to take care of the flock, we have 3 dogs, 2 cats, and a gecko here. We're definitely animal lovers.
Im looking forward to joining in the discussions here and learning as much as possible.
*Tammy

They've told us they're tired of dealing with them, which tells me they don't care but we do care. As it is right now, they're nesting in a wrecked truck and old stable on my property. We've been neighbors for 12 yrs and this isnt the 1st time we've ended up caring for their animals.

Last edited:
We are new to this also. Just let them roam. Keep water and Feed out for them. We have some in a coop. and some stay in a tree all year. They refuse to go in coop. Just leave them be. Chickens are hardy and will eat bugs grass and seeds. B4 we got chicken yard was so full of bugs. Hard to be outside. Walk through yard see bugs fly up they so thick now after a year. Bug are minimal. I enjoy our chicken. And hope wish you the best of luck. Welcome to ByC.

:welcome

Hi Tammy, it's nice to have you here with us!

The Learning Center is the best place to start when first getting in to chickens.
learning-center.11

If your neighbors don't want the chickens any more and you do, I suggest building them a coop to keep them safe from predators. As you've already seen, dogs, hawks, raccoon, etc. will eliminate them. Here is a good place to ask questions about coops:
coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9

It's kind of you to provide a home for these birds, I hope you enjoy them for a long time to come!

G’Day from down under Tammy :frow Welcome!

Kudos to you for taking care of the chickens. Personally I think it sounds like they made the right move picking your family as they new caring hoomans.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Personally, I have found the Topic of the Week articles a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your adopted flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom