Very new to goats need help.

KBauza

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2018
Wednesday we got our first goat at auction. Of course she came with no background information or anything. I have read a ton but I'm not experienced by any means. She has been sweet but a bit shy. Today my 3 year old gave her a soppy and that got me wondering about her age. Should I be giving her a bottle? I also have no clue on breed. I'm guessing saneen or alpine mix but I could be way off. We have arrangements to pick up our other goat Sunday so she won't be alone and that goat is coming with detailed background.

Attachments

• IMG_4746.JPG
    IMG_4746.JPG
    536.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4750.JPG
    IMG_4750.JPG
    766.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4753.JPG
    IMG_4753.JPG
    504.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4755.JPG
    IMG_4755.JPG
    579.8 KB · Views: 19
She doesn't need a bottle. She does need some groceries. From the picture it looks like she is a little underweight. Be slow in introducing grain. She needs good hay, a little grain, some loose minerals, and a salt block. She may need to be wormed also. You need some sort of a hay rack if you don't already have one. Without it, the goats waste a lot more hay than they eat. Once they tromp on it, make a bed out of it, and poop and pee on it, they won't eat it. Your goats should be vaccinated with CD/T for enterotoxemia and tetanus. Go to www.caprinesupply.com and ask them to send you a catalog. Not only does Caprine Supply offer an excellent variety of goat supplies and books, their catalog is full of good information.

She doesn't need a bottle. She does need some groceries. From the picture it looks like she is a little underweight. Be slow in introducing grain. She needs good hay, a little grain, some loose minerals, and a salt block. She may need to be wormed also. You need some sort of a hay rack if you don't already have one. Without it, the goats waste a lot more hay than they eat. Once they tromp on it, make a bed out of it, and poop and pee on it, they won't eat it. Your goats should be vaccinated with CD/T for enterotoxemia and tetanus. Go to www.caprinesupply.com and ask them to send you a catalog. Not only does Caprine Supply offer an excellent variety of goat supplies and books, their catalog is full of good information.
We do have a hay rack, salt block and have been giving her about a 1/4 cup of grain to start since I have no clue what she was eating before. She is not a fan of our good hay, but happily chows down on bedding straw so I mixed the two up for her. My daughter discovered she really likes gram crackers and marshmallows but I'm trying to limit treats like that. She also has access to the brush line where she browses when she is not busy playing. I think we will probably get her first vaccines from the vet since we are having her seen anyhow. She is from the auction so we can never be too careful.

My daughter discovered she really likes gram crackers and marshmallows but I'm trying to limit treats like that.
Goats are ruminant mammals. They spit up and chud their food before it reaches their stomach. Marshmallows might not be a good Idea.
My herd gets lots of snacks, in the form of alfalfa cubes or t & a cubes.
Minerals are important and nutrition is crucial at your kids age.
Stay on top of hoof trimming. Keep an eye on her poop. Make sure it stays in a bunch of separate berries and not clumped. Pull down her eye lid on occasion to make sure it is staying pink, white is a sign of enema, - low red cell count.. sickness.
She is pretty. Good luck and.. get her a companion..

We do have a hay rack, salt block and have been giving her about a 1/4 cup of grain to start since I have no clue what she was eating before. She is not a fan of our good hay, but happily chows down on bedding straw so I mixed the two up for her. My daughter discovered she really likes gram crackers and marshmallows but I'm trying to limit treats like that. She also has access to the brush line where she browses when she is not busy playing. I think we will probably get her first vaccines from the vet since we are having her seen anyhow. She is from the auction so we can never be too careful.
It sounds like you are on the right track. Since you are taking her to the vet, have him do a fecal to check for worms and cocci. While you are at it, check for lice too. Sometimes they are very hard to see. Do send for the catalog I mentioned. I think you will find it useful. I did. Congratulations on your new baby!! Keep us posted.

Goats are ruminant mammals. They spit up and chud their food before it reaches their stomach. Marshmallows might not be a good Idea.
My herd gets lots of snacks, in the form of alfalfa cubes or t & a cubes.
Minerals are important and nutrition is crucial at your kids age.
Stay on top of hoof trimming. Keep an eye on her poop. Make sure it stays in a bunch of separate berries and not clumped. Pull down her eye lid on occasion to make sure it is staying pink, white is a sign of enema, - low red cell count.. sickness.
She is pretty. Good luck and.. get her a companion..
We are picking up another little girl Sunday. We had planned to get 2 at auction but it didn't go as planned. So we hit the internet and found this little beauty, just not sure what her name will be yet.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 15
Baking soda is a good mineral for goats. But anytime I get a girl from anywhere I automatically D worm. That goat could leave from where it is without worms but produce them from shipping stress. Goats get stressed extremely easily. And worms will take down a goat quickly if it’s not caught in time so what I would air on the side of caution and definitely deworm it won’t hurt them and if they don’t have worms

Back
Top Bottom