Very new to incubating and need advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hooterville, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,
    I've been lurking on your board for a while and finally registered today. There's so much information here!
    I'm looking to buy an incubator and would like your opinion on this model:

Electronic Thermostat Hova-bator Incubator
    This NEW Picture Window circulated air incubator comes with a thermometer, plastic bottom liner and with the electronic thermostat regulates itself to the 99.5 degree range! Includes 12 volt transformer which is plugged into 110 v. outlet. Picture window allows improved visibility of the entire incubating and hatching process. Great for school projects. New increased lid depth will accommodate larger sized eggs without an expansion ring. You can use the #ATOI Automatic Turner with this model. Egg capacity without turner is 130 quail,80 pheasant-chukar, 50 chicken, 40 turkey, 20 goose. 110 volts, 25 watts, 18 1/2 " x 18 1/2" x 91/4". (220 volt model not available) UL approved.
    Electronic Thermostat Inc. w/Fan 12vDC--110volt
    Order #ETPW
    @ $132.50

I know I could build one alot cheaper, but I've got gift money to spend and I want to spend it on a reliable incubator!
    If I were to go with this one, should I buy the turner or should I do it by hand. I leave for work at 7 am and get home at 4:30. Would I be able to do the hand turning successfully with this schedule?
    Also, I 'm still figuring out the humidity thing--is it easier than it sounds or is really hard?
    This says it has an egg capacity of 50 eggs--that sounds like alot! Do most people pack them full or go with less?

Thanks for any tips you may have! I'm so glad I found this place! [​IMG]
    Becky in WV

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    [​IMG]

Not sure which model this is-I'd go with the hovabator 1588. It is so easy to use-just plug in and add water. After my first try, I figured out that for my climate ect. I need to just fill the center well every 2-3 days and add a microfiber towel on the final days. Get yourself a good humidity gauge and therm-like the Accurite from Walmart. I would splurge for the turner-my hatch rate went way up with a turner, and it was so nice not to have to keep track of turning. 7-4:30 seems like too large of a gap for turning, to me. I love, love, love my hova and turner-got mine with birthday $ and I'm so happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  3. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Hi Becky,

That unit is the 1588. I have one and absolutely LOVE it. I can assure you that if you get it you will not be posting on here about temps spiking and dropping or difficulties in getting the thing to regulate. I have not adjusted mine since my first hatch in it last year and it has been going non-stop since January. Having the turner makes it a lot easier if you have OCD about turning. The nice thing about the 1588, or at least ONE of the nice things is that, even if you hand-turn, the temp and humidity rebounds within minutes to the right range so it is not a problem. I have the auto-turner so I don't even have to look at my incubator for days at a time, but some people just prefer to do it by hand. Regarding capacity, I thought I would never fill mine but guess what? :eek: With wafer type units, having the bator full will help to keep the temps more stable. With a digital model, like this one, I have hatched 4 bantam eggs by themselves without a hitch. I am thinking about getting a sportsman next year but hate to give up my digital thermostat!

Richard

4. Hooterville

Ohhhh, you guys are the greatest! 2 votes for yes, get it! That's all I needed was a little push [​IMG]

I think I will go ahead and get the turner, too. I was afraid working and trying to hand turn would be difficult.

Now, I can't wait to get it!!

Right now I have 3 black austrolorps (sp?), 2 silver americaunas, 1 super duper RIR, 5 little heathen redneck mutts given to me from someone up a hollar and 1 really nice looking roo who came with the mutts. All hens, (except Captain America). He's a strutter and looks like he could take on the world!

My goal is to raise some more pullets for additional eggs and to get a roo for each of the full breed hens I already have. (types of hens not one for each!) My mutts and Captain America are going to be separated from my others and the others from each other so I'll have pure breds. I'd also like to get some polish--any recommendations for types? I also need to get some company for Henny Penny, my RIR--she's sort of lonely. The roo absolutely hates her and so she stays outside of the run and bunks with my dog at night in the dog house.

I'm so lovin' this board! Any suggestions on where to buy eggs to hatch would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!
    Becky

5. crackedegg24

crackedegg24 New Egg

Jun 30, 2008
    Hi Becky, I live northeast of Marietta, in the middle of Wayne's National forest. Lived in Grantsville, Calhoun county for 20 years. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your chicks. It's a lot fun watching their antics and some work taking care of them. The 1588 with the turner is an excellent choice. From Dalzell, Ohio. Joe

6. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    i've always seen really good things written on the board about hovas so sounds like you are on the right track.
    welcome to the board - it's an awesome community! [​IMG]

7. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    I agree- I don't think I have ever heard anyone saying anything bad about that bator. [​IMG] Go get it! Be warned- hatching is an addiction! [​IMG] I am on day 20 with 9 blue laced red wyandottes; my first hatch on top of that! I am about to go nuts. lol.

Welcome to the board and happy hatching! [​IMG]

8. Hooterville

Well, my new hovabator with turner is on and maintaing temp/humidity like it should.
    I have eggs on the way from several BYCers that should be here about sometime this week. I'm hoping to set them all the same day! [​IMG]

I'm going to be posting progress as things happen--

Thanks for the welcome!!
    Becky

9. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    I've got two of these 1588's - and I love them.

Welcome to the board and happy hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by