Very Sad Need Help PLease!

aso26

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
I posted a few days ago and got one response. I have a young pullet that is emaciated and getting weaker by the moment. I have her in a brooder away from the flock. She is eating and drinking with help. Yesterday she began falling over she is so weak. I did not expect her to survive the night, but I was able to get her electrolytes and that perked her up a bit. Her stool is watery and green with undigested grain in it.

I went to the feed store and asked for something for cocci, as that is the best I can do to diagnose her. They gave me a tetracycline which I now read is not going to work. I also can't figure out the dosing as it is all for huge quantities of water and she is drinking a few tablespoons, not gallons. Her comb and face are pale, although there is no sign of blood in the stool.

I think she may be the same chick that arrived on the first day a pooped blood. I freaked out and got medicated feed but everything was fine and I blamed it on the stress of transporting from the breeder. That was a few months ago, and now I'm thinking she may have had it all along.

I would prefer to feed and raise these birds without meds, but at this point she is most defiantly in need of medical intervention asap. I would really appreciated advice on dosing, what to feed to get her strength up, if I can continue with the electrolytes while she is on meds, what I need to do with my other healthy birds going forward.

I only got this flock from a local breeder after I lost my whole batch of hatchery birds to a dog attach INSIDE my house (not my dog-a stray) around four weeks of age. It has been a really CRAPPY first run at poultry raising for me so far, and I just want a little reassurance that it can work.

Thanks,
Anna

hugs.gif

Don't give up . Sounds bad but there is always hope. Learn from these mistakes before trying aaian.

She needs Corid, and feed her scrambled or boiled eggs mashed up. Keep up the electrolytes, and oral vitamins wouldn't hurt. Sorry you had such a rough start, but chickens can be such fun!

So sorry for your run of bad luck.
hugs.gif
I would think cocci would have done it's damage sooner and not this far along. I wouldn't give up. I'm sure someone here could offer you more sound advice for your girl. Hang in there
fl.gif

Is it possible that it is not coccidia? Worms seemed like the runner up. I just don't want to medicate with the wrong thing and have her die because I gave her the wrong stuff. Can I give more than one thing-at this point she is in an emergency situations, so I'm willing to try whatever.

I have corid ordered and should come in the afternoon. But if it is not cocci-what else should I do?

Do I need to worry about the rest of the flock?

Hi Anna,

I remember your story of the dog attacking your babies. I'm sorry you had that experience and now, this pullet is so sick. Why didn't the store give you Corid or Sulmet for cocci?

While society has chosen to abuse antibiotics, it still has a place when things are looking bleak, so don't worry about having to use it once in a while. Unfortunately, when it comes to birds, you can use a "natural" method to prevent disease, but if it happens, you'd better go with the meds before things get too far.

I've not used Tetracycline so I'm sorry I can't help with the dosage. There must be something online that can help.

As far was feeding her, we've seen good results feeding baby food to sick birds (beef without onions...read the labels carefully) since it's high in protein. We usually mix something like berry or peach baby food to make it a little tastier.

Since this has been going on a while, I'd suggest you get her some Sulmet since it's a stronger medicine. Cocci can build up resistance so don't waste more time with an ineffective antibiotic. I believe with Sulmet its one teaspoon to the gallon. I don't have my little conversion with me. I hope someone else can give you a more confident answer on dosing for Sulmet.

Some people use yogurt, I'm not a fan of feeding dairy to birds, but any antibiotic is going to kill the good flora in her gut, so giver her a probiotic like Probios (feed store will have it) once you're done treating her.

Wishing you luck!
hugs.gif

When you say undigested grain, what is she eating? Does she have access to grit? I would go with yoghurt, probiotics , and tuna. I would go outside and get her a big handful of rocks/ gravel/ grit and continue with the water and weak electrolytes. If she is wormy, then you have to be extremely careful about dosage when they are emaciated. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you all so much-I was just sitting here crying because I feel so powerless and NO ONE I called or asked would give me any help.

I just checked on her. She is up and eating. She is eating the organic starte r that is higher in protein. It is all whole grain with probiotics but ground finer than the grower that I had been feeding.

Her poop is actually not watery today, I noticed, but still green with grain in it.

I read on here somewhere, that parrot formula is an option or wet cat food. Any thoughts?

I gave her an egg yesterday but she seemed unimpressed. I'll try again today though. I have some human probiotic tablets in the fridge-could I mash one up in an egg and feed that?

Thanks again for the advice and keep it coming. I hope to have the SUlmet or at least corid in hand by the end of the day.

I live in puget sound, and despite the fact that everyone seems to have chickens and livestock-no one seems to know a thing about it or vets are uunwilling/able to help. I know it is only a chicken, but she is in my care and I feel I have duty to make sure she is not suffering and if I have the means to help I should.

anna

Back
Top Bottom