Very sad to lose my favorite chicken

dmpalmer

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
As so many others I see here I too am very sad to have lost my favorite chicken two days ago (lost my other two within the week, but I was not attached to them, they were always scared of people). I buried what the predator had left of her last night in a tearful little ceremony with my toddler son, who had not idea what was going on of course. He was upset though when he kept trying to go into the coop to see her and I had to keep redirecting him and telling him that she was not there anymore. I still don't know what exactly got her, just know it had to have been pretty small, because it got through a small hole in the coop. I feel like it is all my fault. I told her she was safe in there. It was built by the previous owners of my house. I should have checked it out better than I did. I know I can't talk about this on my Facebook page, people wouldn't understand, but I know here there are people who understand that we can love our pet chickens, just like the family dog and that it is heartbreaking to loose them, especially when you feel like you could have prevented it if you had just paid more attention. And to feel like she died a paticularly horrible death at the hands of a small predator that may not have even finished her off quickly just feels tragic, like a bloody torturous murder happened out there. Poor thing, I will miss my Chicken Jane.

hugs.gif
So sorry
hugs.gif

I am so so sorry.
hit.gif
I feel so bad for you. you raise them, feed them and some animal takes them away. I had two baby chicks when I lived in the other home 12 years ago.. because we were in the process of building this home. My daughter brought home two baby chicks and we had them in the garage in a cage.... I opened the garage to find feathers...??? I couldn't figure out for a moment what it was... the racoon pulled the babies out of the cage.. through the little hole!!!
th.gif
I felt so terrible that I had not protected them.. but I never thought a racoon could get into the garage!! They are sneaky!
somad.gif

As so many others I see here I too am very sad to have lost my favorite chicken two days ago (lost my other two within the week, but I was not attached to them, they were always scared of people). I buried what the predator had left of her last night in a tearful little ceremony with my toddler son, who had not idea what was going on of course. He was upset though when he kept trying to go into the coop to see her and I had to keep redirecting him and telling him that she was not there anymore. I still don't know what exactly got her, just know it had to have been pretty small, because it got through a small hole in the coop. I feel like it is all my fault. I told her she was safe in there. It was built by the previous owners of my house. I should have checked it out better than I did. I know I can't talk about this on my Facebook page, people wouldn't understand, but I know here there are people who understand that we can love our pet chickens, just like the family dog and that it is heartbreaking to loose them, especially when you feel like you could have prevented it if you had just paid more attention. And to feel like she died a paticularly horrible death at the hands of a small predator that may not have even finished her off quickly just feels tragic, like a bloody torturous murder happened out there. Poor thing, I will miss my Chicken Jane.
I too lost my favorite chicken just today

Back
Top Bottom