VERY SICK BIRD

shailey

Songster
5 Years
Sep 11, 2017
This will probably be long because I'm desperate for answers, this has been going on for 56 days. (started September 24.)
I've tried to post about this multiple times but the thread itself dies out and I end up getting no-where.
Please note a few things if you have ANY info on this!!
This is NOT spreading.
She has been dewormed, treated for CRD (Tylan soluble) given minerals, vitamins, hydro-hen (probiotics, electrolytes, acidifiers) vetRX (promotes respiratory health) and She's currently trying to molt. .
She will drink with a bit of temptation but struggles too much to eat.
She is a 3-year-old, barred rock. She is NOT laying.
Her crop is fine, but ill check again.

She was taken to the vet, and they prescribed a dewormer. I went home and called them back saying she needed an antibiotic, they agreed and we treated her for 11 days with no improvements, I worried it could be fungal so I took her off the antibiotic and bought oil or oregano, which I've giving via nebulizer for 2 days now. She's not eating whatsoever, extremely thin and she just stays in the back of her enclosure, she's been inside for about a month now. At this point I have no idea what to do, keep going with the possibility of a fungal infection, or go back to the antibiotic?

I'll explain her symptoms in detail here;
First started with mild lethargy, she was eating and drinking fine. I was still worried, so I dewormed. She got worse over the days, but not at death's door. I brought her inside for a bit but she got upset so I brought her back out, watching her closely. After waiting for the tylan to ship, I gave it to her. But at that point, she wasn't drinking, and she didn't like the dropper. So I bought watermelons, chopped them up, soaked them overnight in tylan, and gave them to her. She seemed to improve a little but went right back to her previous state after, maybe she didn't get the proper dosage. I started by mushing the watermelon into little bits so she could eat it, but after a few pecks, she would pull back and swallow repeatedly, if she got a piece larger then the little bits I gave her, she would choke it back up/shake her head
she would hold her mouth open and up, I could see the food come back up. Her saliva is very thick, and when I tried to look in the back of her throat, I couldn't see past her mouth because of a saliva bubble. her mouth is clear, though. Often after gaping/eating, I could hear a gurgling sound. Just recently, she has declined, but I suspect it could be weather-related. (it went from 85, clear and sunny to 57 the next day) She is extremely weak ( as for my location, I know it can sometimes help, near the coast in southeast texas.)

I don't have any advice but you mentioned your threads dying out so just wanted to say I did read it :)

She has been dewormed, treated for CRD (Tylan soluble) given minerals, vitamins, hydro-hen (probiotics, electrolytes, acidifiers) vetRX (promotes respiratory health) and She's currently trying to molt. .
She will drink with a bit of temptation but struggles too much to eat.
She is a 3-year-old, barred rock. She is NOT laying.
Her crop is fine, but ill check again.
She was taken to the vet, and they prescribed a dewormer. I went home and called them back saying she needed an antibiotic, they agreed and we treated her for 11 days with no improvements, I worried it could be fungal so I took her off the antibiotic and bought oil or oregano, which I've giving via nebulizer for 2 days now. She's not eating whatsoever
I started by mushing the watermelon into little bits so she could eat it, but after a few pecks, she would pull back and swallow repeatedly, if she got a piece larger then the little bits I gave her, she would choke it back up/shake her head
she would hold her mouth open and up, I could see the food come back up. Her saliva is very thick, and when I tried to look in the back of her throat, I couldn't see past her mouth because of a saliva bubble. her mouth is clear, though. Often after gaping/eating, I could hear a gurgling sound.
She's 3 years old and not laying eggs - was she laying eggs at all this year?
What did you de-worm her with (product and dose)?
Any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between the legs?

Nothing inside the beak or throat - I know you say not - but there's been several people that say that, only to come back in a few days seeing signs of canker or yeast infection.

With her age and some of the symptoms you describe, I would suspect a reproductive disorder. This can cause a number of conditions to arise.
Crop problems maybe too which would go hand in hand with reproductive issues.

You can try treating for sour crop and coccidiosis. You already have administered antibiotics and a de-wormer.

Sadly, sometimes a hen gets sick - she has a lot going on and with being in a constant state of decline along with malnourishment - consider how much longer you want her to linger. (you are going on 56 days)

She's 3 years old and not laying eggs - was she laying eggs at all this year?
What did you de-worm her with (product and dose)?
Any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between the legs?

Nothing inside the beak or throat - I know you say not - but there's been several people that say that, only to come back in a few days seeing signs of canker or yeast infection.

With her age and some of the symptoms you describe, I would suspect a reproductive disorder. This can cause a number of conditions to arise.
Crop problems maybe too which would go hand in hand with reproductive issues.

You can try treating for sour crop and coccidiosis. You already have administered antibiotics and a de-wormer.

Sadly, sometimes a hen gets sick - she has a lot going on and with being in a constant state of decline along with malnourishment - consider how much longer you want her to linger. (you are going on 56 days)
I've considered it, at this point I think she's suffering, so I am considering putting her to sleep, she stopped laying when she got sick, and I was constantly worried about a reproductive issue. Ultimately, I'm going to speak with my vet and see about putting her to sleep.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom