Very sick birds! What is wrong?

SpeckledPullet

Songster
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Northeast Florida
I have noticed the last 4 days that my 2 newest birds quit roosting on their perch. They've been caged separately from my main flock, but only about 150 feet away. Anyhow, I didn't see them much for the past 2 nights because I fed at night time and they appeared to be roosting. Today, when I went out (in daylight) I noticed the rooster looked like he was sleeping and droopy. I picked him up and saw that his legs were swollen and had fluid build up. The lower two toes on one foot looked purple and red. His comb is discolored to almost a white hue. His eyes are swollen. He acts like he is on death's door and I will be amazed if he is alive tomorrow. Unfortunately, his little hen also appears sick. At first glance, she is normal looking. But after closer inspection, her eyes look a tad bit swollen and squinty.

So, what on earth is wrong with them? My first thought was Avian Flu, but the comb is not turned blue or black, it is turned almost white. I also don't see any spots on him, but for the two lower toes. I'm just praying its not Avian flu because I will be devastated if I lose my entire flock to this.

Any ideas on what it is?

Not many vets in the area deal with chickens, but I am going to put in a call to one who I am told might be able to help me (although he also proclaims not to deal with chickens much).

Last edited:
According to McMurray hatchery the Avian flu is not in the United States and never has been. I hope that makes you feel better.

As for the symptoms you are describing, is there anything else that is going along with it? My rooster who ended up having CRD started with just oozy squinty eyes, and the hens that showed symptoms were much less but their breathing was very raspy.

He could have been cold as the other post states, but it seems a little severe and he must have been exposed to the elements for quite a while.

What does their stool look like? Is there any discharge from their nose or eyes?

Yes, I checked the poo after I posted this and it is green
hmm.png
He also has a slight bloody discharge from the nostrils. He is a young roo, maybe only 7 or 8 months old. Could this be Mereks???

We haven't been cold enough the past 2 weeks for it to be frostbite. We're in FL.

Just a suggestion, but it could be a reaction to what they are eating. Maybe even a bacterial food poisoning.

You may want to purge their systems with some COOKED brown rice and steamed green beans. See if they perk up?

Back
Top Bottom