Very sick chick, Cecal Coccoides question {Updated w/ poo picture}.

Well, so far my search has turned up a more specific name for the Baycox:

http://www.baycox.com/19/Baycox_25_in_Poultry.htm

You can either buy a large amount of it OR according to several websites...you have to get a prescription to get a smaller container.

The cheapest container I've found is $100 for a piglet version of it.

It is WAY to expensive for my taste. Odd how it's only available in large doses and mainly in the UK?

baycox =toltrazuril
marquis =ponazuril

neat newer treatments for coccidia, & they are coccidiocidal- kills the protozoa not just impedes them.

shorter duration of treatment- 1-2 days, very expensive, and as far as I can tell- baycox is not available in the US for any species, and marquis (which is), would very off label for poultry, plus is rx only. being tried in dogs/cats (works great), also off label.

AS for chicken poop in the water...
Putting adult poop in the water for the babies to drink, if all they were getting was beneficial bacteria (transfaunation) is one thing, but exposing them young to who knows what kinds of un beneficial bacteria, viruses and parasites is asking for trouble. Putting stomach contents from one animal into another who is missing their good flora has some scientific merit to back it up, but drinking poop is not the same thing.
They will get exposed to things in smaller and safer quantities by dust in the wind, dirt from the yard, grime on the hands.
A few coccidia into a naive system may cause diarrhea for a bit and the chicken gets immune and better. 100 coccidia might kill the same bird.

Quote:
OMG
ep.gif
I will keep that in mind for the future!!!!

Best advice: Prevention is best so use medicated starter.

First State Vet Supply has amprollium... this is what is advised for very young chicks altho you can use sulfa meds (but is harder on their system)
http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/...d=316&osCsid=c418ccde4d1f56b9947e69e10dcce2f2
(direct link to order online)

Back
Top Bottom