Very sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by winkyfaye, Mar 9, 2016.

1. horseshoe13

horseshoe13 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    Also it will tell you if there is an infection what type of antibiotics needed. One type of antibiotics doesn't cure all some pathogens are sensitive to certain types of antibiotics and resistant to others.

2. horseshoe13

Jan 26, 2016
    Tylan 50 at Tractor Supply has helped me tremendously and SQ at the back of the neck is the best I have found so far. Be cautious! Mixing of antibiotics cand be deadly. If it is possible at least do a blood panel. It will again tell you what you are up against. You can give honey with the electrolytes/vitamins solution for extra energy. It may be a life saver. Or use molasses.

3. horseshoe13

Jan 26, 2016
    I will definitely be praying that helps too lol.

4. winkyfaye

winkyfaye Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2016
    Robbinsville, NC
    I would have taken her to a vet if there was one near that treated chickens. I would have to go a between 100 - 200 miles. Her comb, etc is not pale at all. Am I correct in thinking that means she has good blood flow and oxygen? Should I check into the injectables? I will be leaving shortly heading to Murphy and I can go to Tractor Supply.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  5. winkyfaye

Feb 8, 2016
    Robbinsville, NC
    Thanks. I will try the honey with the electrolytes. The anitbiotics I have given her is tetracycline. I have a feeling it is not the correct one, but it is what the feed store recommended and all I had. It looks like we will not be able to buy medications without a prescription soon.[​IMG]

6. horseshoe13

Jan 26, 2016
    Oh I'm so sorry. Red comb is a good sign. Stop the Tetracyclines push the electrolytes/vitamins and honey hydration is extremely important. And Tylon 50 injectable. Try 1 cc SQ if she is over 5 lbs 1/2 cc if she is less. I'm sure her kidneys and liver are struggling too. Mereks disease attacks the liver and they waste away too. It's a vicious cycle. If the Tylan 50 and honey with electrolytes don't work.... I'm still praying for her. I will research some more. If I can come up with anything else I will let you know.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Pm casportpony and ask her to read this thread. Your hens symptoms seem to indicate an infection in her digestive system. Tylon will not treat infections in the digestive system,

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  8. winkyfaye

Feb 8, 2016
    Robbinsville, NC
    Thank you so much. Prayers always welcome.

Faye

9. horseshoe13

Jan 26, 2016
    Yes any other suggestions would be great. I didn't say Tylenol. Lol I said Tylon 50 it's an antibiotic. Or maybe I spelled it wrong it may be Tylan 50

10. winkyfaye

Feb 8, 2016
    Robbinsville, NC
    I am also rubbing an essential oil blend from Dr. Shelton on her legs and feet that is a complete system boost. I also have a liver boost I can use also. I am a firm believer in essential oils for human and animal alike. I do appreciate all the time you have given to help my Ms Comet. Faye

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by