Very Sick Hen - Lethargic - Help

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Her posture with the tail down and more upright condition looks very much like she has a reproductive problem to me. I would also check inside the vent with one finger inserted up to 2 inches for a stuck egg, where it should normally feel soft. The green droppings look like she is not eating much. Try adding water to her chicken feed to make a mush, offer cooked egg, tuna, or liver just to make it tasty, and to get her eating.

Chickens with reproductive disorders make suffer poor digestion, crop disorders due to swelling or fluid in the lower abdomen.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Most of the poultry sites that give advice on illnesses have sponsors that support the site and keep it available. I have read a lot of poultry books, a lot of university poultry sites info, the Merck Veterinary Manual, and I do think that the chicken chick gives pretty accurate information. She is an RN, and usually consults vets for opinions. I may not agree with every article, but overall her site is one of the better ones.

Many people on BYC have had diseases in their flocks, and have sought necropsies to confirm them. I have been pretty lucky so far, but I really appreciate those who have personal experience, and give thoughtful, accurate info. I think if you have chickens for decades, there will probably have the occasional disease brought in by wild birds. Many who make the mistake of bringing in birds from multiple sources, especially to get rare breeds, can easily bring in many diseases. Poultry shows are pretty risky as well.

coach723

Free Ranging
5 Years
Feb 12, 2015
North Florida
Many parasites have become resistant to ivermectin. Is it possible for you to get a fecal test done? That would rule parasites in or out as an issue. If you are not able to test then I would do as @dawg53 suggested and worm with either Safeguard or Valbazen. I would try feeding some of the suggested things by @Eggcessive to see if you can tempt her into eating. You can also give her some nutri drench if you have some, that will give her a bit of a boost and may help with appetite.

Wyorp Rock

Enabler
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
3 year old Black Copper Maran hen
She’s lying around and seems unable to stand for more than few seconds. When she does stand her rear droops down and front end is slightly up higher.
She’s been getting worse by the day. It’s day 3 now.
Her croop is empty, mushy and her belly isn’t extended.
I wormed my flock at the end of the summer with Ivermectin pour on 5mg.
Getting a fecal float is always a good idea, but if that's not possible, then I would de-worm her as suggested with the Valbazen or you can use Fenbendazole (Safeguard).
While Ivermectin can treat some worms like roundworms, it's seems to have lost some of it's effectiveness.
The droppings also look to have a lot of mucous, could be worms or possibly Coccidiosis. I would also think about treating with Corid while your at it.
Others may have a different perspective on that.

Her stance makes me think that she has some type of reproductive problem going on, but I could be wrong.
The crop is empty, but mushy? Can you massage it to see if it's really empty or is it doughy?
Crop issues can be a symptom of an underlying cause like worms, coccidiosis, reproductive problems and infection. Try to keep her hydrated and eating. Offer her a wet mash made of her normal feed. Eggs can also be enticing.

Wil781

Songster
Apr 29, 2018
Central Alabama
Poor girl! In the poop pictures, is the uriates yellow? I ask this because I lost a hen with watery dark green poop with yellow urates and was pretty sure she had an issue with her liver. Hope she starts feeling better!

chickenMamee

Songster
Aug 28, 2015
Hernando, MS
2AA43EA8-49AE-46C0-9DA4-2D442DEECEF0.jpeg
She’s been getting worse by the day. It’s day 3 now.

Hi
I’m sure she is laying because I have her separated from the others.
Her croop is empty, mushy and her belly isn’t extended. She’s definitely not broody as I know her broody characteristics and this is something else happening.
Oatmeal is a treat not her normal food so that’s why I soaked it in olive oil and offered it since she’s not eating.
I wormed my flock at the end of the summer with Ivermectin pour on 5mg.
Besides worming; and after seeing the feces pics, I recommend that you get your hen started on SMZ-TMP. Here's where you can order it without a script, just follow the instructions on the bottle:
https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/bird-sulfa/all-pet-supplies-medications-bird-fish-antibiotics
Besides worming; and after seeing the feces pics, I recommend that you get your hen started on SMZ-TMP. Here's where you can order it without a script, just follow the instructions on the bottle:
https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/bird-sulfa/all-pet-supplies-medications-bird-fish-antibiotics
Do you think Oxytetracycline powder will work the same?

Attachments

chickenMamee

Songster
Aug 28, 2015
Hernando, MS
You can try the Oxytetracycline. In the meantime, order the SMZ-TMP. I'm almost certain a sulfa drug will help if it's not too late.
Okay I will. Thank you!
Do you think she has an infection of some sort? This has always been one of the healthiest breeds I’ve had and most especially her. She’s a huge foraging machine and my chickens free range over a pasture of a couple of acres every day. But, I’ve noticed she’s been visiting a neighbor’s flowerbed lately. I wondered if perhaps she’d eaten something over there. Anyway, thanks again.

Relleoms

Songster
Jan 22, 2018
Iowa
I had a roo with similar droppings and symptoms that cleared up with SMZ-TMP. It seems my vet suggests worming & corid for just about every condition to rule out the “easy” things, so if you can’t get a fecal sample tested, that’s probably a good, relatively harmless, place to start. Moistened feed, scrambled eggs and nutridrench are great suggestions too. Good luck with your girl!

Latest posts

Top Bottom