Very sick pullet. Help!

I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis.

There are quite a few folks that have Marek's in their flocks. It's not always a death sentence.
Symptoms can vary so widely it seems, frustrating disease.
From what I have gathered from a few folks: Do your best to keep stress to a minimum, keep on top of parasites (internal and external), fresh feed, fresh water.

As for what to do if a bird becomes symptomatic. That's going to be for you to decide. Most opt to offer supportive care and give the bird a chance to "recover" or for symptoms to subside. There's no guarantee they won't relapse.

Others once they are sure the bird is symptomatic with the virus cull those birds. The thought is symptomatic birds have a higher viral load that they are shedding.

The virus is shed in the feathers, dust, dander, etc., so the consensus is once in the environment, it's pretty much there.

Birds that "recover" or never show symptoms, folks often breed these forward in hopes of some resistance to the virus.

I'm sure it's a heartbreaking piece of news to receive, but now you know what you are dealing with. Doesn't make it any easier.

Here's some info. The first one, read it for sure. @microchick is still active and she's been so kind and willing to help others with their questions.
The second article is a bit older, but worth the read, info is still valid and gives you a place to start some research.

Again, I'm so sorry :hugs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Thank you for the kind words and tag,@Wyorp Rock.

Indeed, I'm more than willing to help whenever I can.

It's late here in Missouri. I promise to read over the thread and post more tomorrow morning.

Hang in there, @SmiYa0126 I know this feels like the end of the world at the moment but trust me it's just a stretch of really nasty road. You aren't alone.

I will invite you to read my article. You can cut And paste the link in my tag line at the bottom of this post. It may answer a lot of your questions and ease your fears concerning Karen's disease.

So the final report came back, it is the dreaded Marek’s. What do I do for my remaining flock now? Everyone appears to be acting normal. I also saw that they found a roundworm in the intestine. I’m getting safeguard paste tomorrow.
First off, apologies for quoting the wrong member last night. That will teach me to try to use my tablet while in bed to reply.

Secondly, I'm so sorry to hear that your final diagnosis is Marek's. Makes sense though given the age of your flock and a diagnosis of reproductive cancer along with the symptoms.

My flock developed symptoms when they were just a year old and the next three years were hell on earth so I know what you are feeling right now and what you are going through.

I won't mislead you. It will get worse, then it will get better. Just don' t give up. Your surviving birds will be resistant to Marek's disease and you can breed resistant birds from your survivors.

First off, close your flock. No unvaccinated birds in and no birds out. Your entire flock has been exposed and are now carriers, meaning they can spread the disease through their dander and bodily fluids.

I won't repeat my experiences. I pretty much covered everything in my article but I will say this. Marek's isn't the end of keeping chickens. The disease is everywhere and you did nothing to endanger your flock or make them sick. The virus is air born in bird dander and even wild birds can carry it so unless you can put your property under a dome, there is no escaping it other than to raise resistant birds or vaccinated birds.

I know a lot of people here frown on vaccination but in all honesty, until you have walked in the shoes of a flock owner who is having to cull one or two birds a week due to this horrible disease and feel the heartbreak and sorrow they are feeling, you truly do not understand how devastating this disease is. Sometimes, vaccinating is the only way you will be able to add birds to your flock if you so desire. That or adding genetically resistant birds like Egyptian Fayoumis (which I did) or birds like Naked Necks. At least that is what I discovered personally

Unfortunately birds like Silkies, Orpingtons, Welsummers to name a few along with Sebrights are all at the top of the list when it comes to susceptibility. All popular back yard flock birds.

What should you do with your flock now? Wait. Hang on, keep them as healthy and well fed as you can and see what happens next. You will lose more birds. How many? I don't know. I lost 2/3rds of my flock before the purge stopped and it's been 4 years since I've lost a bird that I could point a finger at and say 'Marek's Disease'. But I know it's out there. I know my flock is exposed and carriers but that isn't stopping me from keeping birds and it shouldn't stop anyone.

As @Wyorp Rock said, I am glad to answer any questions you might have, now or in the future. Just tag me, quote me or PM me. I may not be on every day but I am on the forum fairly regularly so I will check my alerts and pm box.

Just hang in there and know you are not alone in this. There is a big club of folks with MD here on BYC. It's one that nobody wants to belong to but we are all here to help one another.

Blessings.:hugs
Becky

First off, apologies for quoting the wrong member last night. That will teach me to try to use my tablet while in bed to reply.

Secondly, I'm so sorry to hear that your final diagnosis is Marek's. Makes sense though given the age of your flock and a diagnosis of reproductive cancer along with the symptoms.

My flock developed symptoms when they were just a year old and the next three years were hell on earth so I know what you are feeling right now and what you are going through.

I won't mislead you. It will get worse, then it will get better. Just don' t give up. Your surviving birds will be resistant to Marek's disease and you can breed resistant birds from your survivors.

First off, close your flock. No unvaccinated birds in and no birds out. Your entire flock has been exposed and are now carriers, meaning they can spread the disease through their dander and bodily fluids.

I won't repeat my experiences. I pretty much covered everything in my article but I will say this. Marek's isn't the end of keeping chickens. The disease is everywhere and you did nothing to endanger your flock or make them sick. The virus is air born in bird dander and even wild birds can carry it so unless you can put your property under a dome, there is no escaping it other than to raise resistant birds or vaccinated birds.

I know a lot of people here frown on vaccination but in all honesty, until you have walked in the shoes of a flock owner who is having to cull one or two birds a week due to this horrible disease and feel the heartbreak and sorrow they are feeling, you truly do not understand how devastating this disease is. Sometimes, vaccinating is the only way you will be able to add birds to your flock if you so desire. That or adding genetically resistant birds like Egyptian Fayoumis (which I did) or birds like Naked Necks. At least that is what I discovered personally

Unfortunately birds like Silkies, Orpingtons, Welsummers to name a few along with Sebrights are all at the top of the list when it comes to susceptibility. All popular back yard flock birds.

What should you do with your flock now? Wait. Hang on, keep them as healthy and well fed as you can and see what happens next. You will lose more birds. How many? I don't know. I lost 2/3rds of my flock before the purge stopped and it's been 4 years since I've lost a bird that I could point a finger at and say 'Marek's Disease'. But I know it's out there. I know my flock is exposed and carriers but that isn't stopping me from keeping birds and it shouldn't stop anyone.

As @Wyorp Rock said, I am glad to answer any questions you might have, now or in the future. Just tag me, quote me or PM me. I may not be on every day but I am on the forum fairly regularly so I will check my alerts and pm box.

Just hang in there and know you are not alone in this. There is a big club of folks with MD here on BYC. It's one that nobody wants to belong to but we are all here to help one another.

Blessings.:hugs
Becky
Thank you so much. You have no idea how much your article and your words meant to me. I was shocked for a couple of days trying to figure out my next move. Having something I can’t control and can’t cure is debilitating to me on top of the several virus outbreaks that cost so many lives in the small vet practice I work at. My goal now is to keep them as happy and well fed as much as I can. It’s devastating having this happen to me after researching for 2 years and only getting my first flock of 9 (now down to 7). Thank you so very much. @Wyorp Rock Thank you so much for all your help throughout this whole ordeal too. I feel like I’ve found some real friends in this site.

Thank you so much. You have no idea how much your article and your words meant to me. I was shocked for a couple of days trying to figure out my next move. Having something I can’t control and can’t cure is debilitating to me on top of the several virus outbreaks that cost so many lives in the small vet practice I work at. My goal now is to keep them as happy and well fed as much as I can. It’s devastating having this happen to me after researching for 2 years and only getting my first flock of 9 (now down to 7). Thank you so very much. @Wyorp Rock Thank you so much for all your help throughout this whole ordeal too. I feel like I’ve found some real friends in this site.
:hugs
I know it's been heartbreaking. I'm hopeful things will start to look brighter for you.

No problem. That is what it is all about, helping one another.

I sincerely hope things settle down for you. Marek's is a challenge but not an insurmountable one to deal with.

Let us know how things are going for you and your girls.

A little update. None of the girls and the boy (29 weeks old now) and the silkies that are over a year old has exhibited any symptoms of Marek’s. My spring chicks are finally laying now and I do carry them everyday making sure none has been losing weight. Taking it day by day and considering myself very lucky I haven’t lost another one. I am thinking of adding 2 more to our flock, vaccinated ofcourse, come spring time.

I'm so glad things are settling down for you and the rest of your flock is doing well.

Keep in the back of your mind the fact that your birds are carriers. They may develop problems later, especially if they experienced a 'silent' infection of MD that they survived.

But for the time being, enjoy every day that you have with them and keep doing what you are doing, keeping them healthy and happy.
Blessings,
Becky

Back
Top Bottom