Very small chick

ChewBokBok

Chirping
Aug 18, 2021
MN
I have a Marans chick that is about 2 months old, a couple weeks ago i noticed suddenly that it was about half the size of the others. I was a little worried but figured it was just a slow grower or something. it was pretty heavy and was eating and drinking. It never really grew much. this morning i noticed that it was just standing in a corner, i went to pick it up and put it by the food and it just let me, without moving. but it wouldn't eat any of the food. All its wing feathers are in but no others really it still is pretty heavy. Its like it just stopped growing. Do you know what might be happening? Thanks.

I have a Marans chick that is about 2 months old, a couple weeks ago i noticed suddenly that it was about half the size of the others. I was a little worried but figured it was just a slow grower or something. it was pretty heavy and was eating and drinking. It never really grew much. this morning i noticed that it was just standing in a corner, i went to pick it up and put it by the food and it just let me, without moving. but it wouldn't eat any of the food. All its wing feathers are in but no others really it still is pretty heavy. Its like it just stopped growing. Do you know what might be happening? Thanks.
Have you tried scrambled egg, or wetting the chick food (making it like oatmeal) to see if he/she will eat?

I have a chicken that also isn't growing as the others but doing well otherwise.

I've had several small chickens- not bantams but standard and large breed birds that never came close to their expected sizes. Most thrived but all met untimely ends due to overestimating the friendliness of one of our dogs, or failing to heed the rooster's "sky danger" call or other such preventable errors. Most had odd personalities, like one of our Ameracaunas got to be only half-sized, was VERY human friendly, croaked instead of clucked, and would fly out of the run to visit Luna aka Murder Dog. That was ok if I was present but I wasn't there the last time it happened. So.

Another would scream nonstop whenever a person entered the run, and flee out into the pasture still shrieking until she felt she was out of danger range. Then she'd pace around making concerned noises until our business in the run was complete and we left.

None of my little chickens was ever a regular layer; most laid infrequently or not at all.

I could try the mash, but i don't think it was very interested in the food altogether. I am still worried about why it is so quiet, and just sits in the corner

Back
Top Bottom