Very soft shelles egg.

Wow that is very interesting to me because my vet basically said the opposite. She said that I should continue with calcium supplements every day long term basically forever, even when she stops laying. Maybe that is just because whatever feed my girl was raised on was very deficient in nutrients.
That's why I said it sometimes seems like vets - hey, doctors too! - do a lot of guess work. That was my experience anyway when I was taking my duck to the vet for an issue. In your case you just see how it goes - you can always have her calcium levels checked again at any time. I had just read online a post about the soft-shelled eggs and it basically said it can be caused by lack of calcium or too much. Hard to know what to do, right?! I haven't had the soft-shell egg now for a few days - maybe only 1 in the last 5 - so I will break on the calcium for now, but my case is different than yours and I have not seen a vet for this issue.

Just updating, since her vet visit a week ago she hasn't had any issues and she hasn't seemed to be struggling at all. She also has not laid any eggs since the vet visit, but hey I'd prefer no eggs to painful soft shelled eggs. I've been still giving her the calcium supplements and will continue to unless it causes any kinds of problems. Hopefully at least SOMEONE will start laying again soon because if they don't I will have to go buy some eggs :barnie

Just updating, since her vet visit a week ago she hasn't had any issues and she hasn't seemed to be struggling at all. She also has not laid any eggs since the vet visit, but hey I'd prefer no eggs to painful soft shelled eggs. I've been still giving her the calcium supplements and will continue to unless it causes any kinds of problems. Hopefully at least SOMEONE will start laying again soon because if they don't I will have to go buy some eggs :barnie
I'm thrilled she's not having issues! Thanks for the update!

Happy to hear!

So this morning Pigeon laid her 1st egg since taking her to the vet. There were 2 very similar looking eggs in her nesting box but I assume one was from Penguin and the other was from her. I've noticed she has kind of just been laying around all day, which is pretty unusual for her. She generally isn't the duck to lay down unless she's hiding under the coop from scary birds. She doesn't seem to be struggling to push out an egg or anything, just less active than usual. Is this normal? Is it something that I should be concerned about?

Attachments

• 20210307_120103.jpg
    20210307_120103.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 3
So this morning Pigeon laid her 1st egg since taking her to the vet. There were 2 very similar looking eggs in her nesting box but I assume one was from Penguin and the other was from her. I've noticed she has kind of just been laying around all day, which is pretty unusual for her. She generally isn't the duck to lay down unless she's hiding under the coop from scary birds. She doesn't seem to be struggling to push out an egg or anything, just less active than usual. Is this normal? Is it something that I should be concerned about?
My two ducks who lay are 6 and 7 years old. They just started producing eggs again after a long winter break. I'm noticing no changes in energy levels.

I have heard other people say that their laying ducks are less active, but that hasn't been the case with my birds. The only time my birds have been less active is when they have had a health issue. But I've only had 6 adult laying ducks, which isn't many. I definitely believe it is possible she is adjusting to her body making eggs again. It is a lot of work to make eggs, after all.

Is she eating and drinking and poop look like normal poop?
She is drinking normally I've seen her go over to the pool a few times, and when I threw out some peas for them she wasn't hesitant to gobble them up. I'll hang out there for awhile and see if I can get a pic of the poop.

Back
Top Bottom