VERY strange growth......need help ASAP!-----UPDATE!

TSK! TSK! TSK! SHAME ON YOU FOR BRINGING A "STRANGE" CHICKEN TO YOUR HOME!!! NEVER, EVER DO THAT AGAIN! Haven't you ever heard of Biosecurity?!
If that thing has anything contagious, guess what? Now yours do too! ESPECIALLY if you didn't wash up and change your clothing before you handled your own chooks!
Really now, use your noodle next time!

Wow. First, yes I do practice biosecurity, the bird never touched my property, she parked in the road at the end of my driveway, I used gloves, changed my clothes and wore shoes I never wear in my coop, why do I have to defend myself when I came here for help for this lady??

Are both eyes swollen like that? Looks like the sinus canals are plugged as well. Is it eating and drinking?

No both eyes were not swollen, the bird was actually healthy, it's eating and drinking just fine.

oh wow, were there any bugs in it or any maggots coming out of the nostrils?

No bugs no maggots, the nostrils are swollen.

Odds are that this is coryza and you have just infected your farm. I would cull that bird and burn it.

This is NOT my bird to "cull and burn" I was just asking for opinions and help.

I care very much for my own birds, I do practice biosecurity, this is NOT my bird just asking for ideas and help, I would appreciate it if you would not personally attack me. And thank you for those of you that are helping her in a constructive way, I apprecitate it.​

Last edited:
Im not sure what it is but I agree I would try and pick tat little scab and squeeze it out-or see if anything comes out-poor thing-I wish you luck for your friend and please let us know how it turns out or what it is or was??

Im not sure what it is but I agree I would try and pick tat little scab and squeeze it out-or see if anything comes out-poor thing-I wish you luck for your friend and please let us know how it turns out or what it is or was??

Thank you for your input, I am forwarding her all the info you all give. I have no idea what to tell her since I've NEVER seen anything like this. If someone is suggesting antibotics, I need to know what kind.....injectable?? Oral?? Do I tell her to open this thing?? I'm not personally touching it, it's up to her at this point.

Thanks​

I've never seen something like that on a chicken... It looks like it could be some sort of parasitic larva of some kind. (Like a bot fly larva) I would definately do a little exploratory on those nasty tumors!
wink.png

Some people just get WAY to excited. Yes it is important to practice biosecurity as we all know. They were jumping to conclusions when they didn't know the facts.
OK, Back to the poor bird.
I would try to open up the bulge where the little scab is and see if you can get it to drain at all. With the sinuses swelled the way that they are, I would start a "mycin" treatment that would help with sinus infection such as sinusitis. If there is no smell to the head of the bird then it very possibly is not coryza. Coryza does not always stink but more times than not it does. Coryza will also generally make the head swell below the eye. And there would be discharge. Not knowing this bird personally, I would treat as a severe sinus infection.
Any other help from a non-judgemental crowd would be appreciated

if she said she had a bird get this last year and died i would assume that this is some sort of transmittable infection.

if you take a look at the pic the chickens eye in affected, i am surprised the chicken still has sight in that eye.

me personally i would advise the friend to cull the bird and hope that none of her other chickens come down with this. i would treat with antibiotic in the water for 10 days and see what happens

are there any other chickens that are affected but not as bad?

i am not judging so please dont take this the wrong way but this did not pop up over night so i think treatment when she first noticed there was a problem could have saved the chicken

Have her contact the state vet and ask them what they think it could be. It might be something they would want to llok at since this has happened before. We had to do that once but it was for are cows. Please tell her I said good luck and I am glad she cares enough to ask for help.

Back
Top Bottom