Very swollen chicken feet, crooked toes

Fred_L

Hatching
May 22, 2024
My Rhode Island Red hen is about 4 years old. She started to develop swollen feet few months ago; first one foot, then the other. They are getting larger, reddish in parts and she's developing crooked toes.when the weather was freezing. She seems fine otherwise but has stopped laying. The other five hens are very healthy, including their feet.
  • The run has been muddy since last fall.
  • Winter weather was freezing for an extended period of time, which is unusual for us. Also, our power was out for a week during that time so no heat lamp.
  • Half the run is mostly sand, other half is dirt
  • Coop floor has pine shavings
  • Roosts available both in coop and in the run.
  • Feed year round is standard laying hens pellet food.
  • Minimal food scraps
I've started doing epsom salt + lavendar foot soaks for her then dry her feet and put her back in the run. This time I put vasoline on her foot pads and between her toes. Then I put a sterile pad under her foot pad and wrapped all in breathable medical tape. This time I'm keeping her indoors so that she can stay clean.
  • Any idea what caused this?
  • Am I giving her the correct treatment?
  • How often should I give her a foot soak and change the bandages?
  • Any other advice?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20240522_111351.jpg
    20240522_111351.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20240522_111533.jpg
    20240522_111533.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240522_121916.jpg
    20240522_121916.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 9
Hocks are not swollen so probably not mycoplasma synoviae infection. No black spots on feet so probably not bumblefoot. Now thinking it may be gout. Any suggestions?

BTW, the yellow in her water is probiotics.

I will try the tart cherry extracts. How much do you give and how ?

I've attached pics of what I feed all my girls, all year 'round. I think the combo of the excessive food scaps I used to give my hens + possible temporary dehydration during freezing temps contributed to her gout. If you recommend changing her food I may need to isolate her since the others are laying.

1000014360.jpg
1000014359.jpg

I will try the tart cherry extracts. How much do you give and how ?
I give one 3000mg capsule twice a day, morning and night. But you can also give two 1200mg capsules twice a day. This is the brand I use: https://www.amazon.com/Nutricost-Cherry-Extract-3000mg-Capsules/dp/B07TD6KJS3/

When it is dark out go out to the coop with a headlamp and take her off the roost. Kneel down on one knee and hold her on your other knee with your non-dominant arm. With your non-dominant hand gently pull down on her lower beak or wattles to open her mouth then pop in the capsule with your dominant hand and close her mouth and she will swallow it.

Eventually my hen started taking the capsules from my hand without me having to force them down her throat. They must taste pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom