1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

VERY tiny chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EquestrianEm, May 6, 2016.

1. EquestrianEm

EquestrianEm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    I'm very concerned for this little chick that I rescued about 4 days ago (she was a few hours old at the time) She is SUPER tiny compared to my other chick (Buff Orpington) .. I was just wondering..is there a such thing as a dwarf chick? This may be a stupid question. Just wanna know... :) I'm so new to this so I have no idea! :D Pictures below!

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. EquestrianEm

Mar 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. EquestrianEm

Mar 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It looks like it's probably a bantam (which is a miniature or dwarf chicken). As long as it's active, eating, drinking and pooping, I wouldn't worry too much :)

5. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Where did you rescued from? looks like a bantam as "howfunkyisurchicken" they are smaller than regular chicks.

6. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    I think it is a bantam

7. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Not saying that it's not a bantam, but there are other possibilities. Other people have more experience, I would listen to them first, however....

We (I) have been incubating any eggs that could be considered fertile and there is a huge difference between some! A few of our new RIR layers put out some micro eggs which I incubated anyways to see if they produced anything. Most did, and next to the Sliver Laced Wyandottes (who lay behemoth eggs), it is quite comical.

The Wyandotte chicks that are less than a week old are massive compared to the small RIR chicks of the same age, much like your pictures. In fact, they're still huge compared to the regular RIR chicks!

Eating, drinking, sleeping, pooping = happy chick, regardless of size [​IMG]

8. kamrynwade

kamrynwade Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2015
    I've had many that are much smaller.. It's either a bantam or a problem. The only time it was a problem was when I'd hear ongoing peeping, if they are always sleeping or slow then they aren't getting enough food\water and they most likely won't live. I hope it's a bantam and doesn't have those problems :)

9. EquestrianEm

Mar 17, 2016
    Thanks everyone SO much for this really helpful info about the bantams!!! She is doing FABULOUS! :D Eating, drinking, sleeping, and pooping! She is super active and doesn't seem to have any problems at all. This makes me feel a whole lot better! I was sooo worried that there was something wrong with her because of how tiny she is. Thanks again everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by