Very, very newbie in WV.

cluckaiki

Hatching
Jul 5, 2016
Hi all,
My son and I are preparing to restart our Wild Wonderful West Virginia homesteading adventure. In past years, we had dairy goats, rabbits and the financial black hole...horses. Because I returned to school to get a nursing degree, it was necessary to relocate all our beloved animals. As we are preparing to restart, we tossed around ideas of what to start with. Not wanting to be too overwhelmed, we think it would be a good idea to start one or at the most, two projects a year. I voted for the goats. We love the raw milk and meat, but fencing will be a big endeavor since the acreage we have is mostly very dense forest on steep slopes. My son voted for rabbits since we still have a few of our old rabbit hutches, and we are as familiar with these creatures as we are the goats. Chickens were the up and running 3rd choice for both of us. Being an avid gardener, I expect high results from the symbiotic relationship of chickens and a large garden. We have never raised any poultry before, and are admittedly very ignorant to the raising and husbandry of chickens. However, while researching chickens, I stumbled across this site and chickens quickly moved to the to of my list. The small fraction of posts I have already read have me rattling ideas to my son. Of course, we are ready to jump in like enthusiastic fools, so I am soaking in as much information as I can at this time. I am so excited that I found this site and will probably spend every free moment, for months to come, on here. I will refrain from posting any questions at this time (at least today) since I am sure to find many of the answers in the vast number of informative posts already here. I have some ideas that I believe will work for our situation that I hope to bounce out in following posts over the next few weeks. I look forward to feedback and suggestions as we get ready. I am basically a blank slate and have very few restrictions. The possibilities seem almost endless as to how we will start and continue raising our chickens. I want to have all our ducks...um chicks, in a row so that this can be the start of a rewarding journey. Thanks for having this site!!! And thank you to all who post their experiences, ideas and questions here. I appreciate all your expertise.

Welcome to BYC. Click on the 'Learning Center' located at the top of the page. Study the forums, and as questions arise post them in the proper forums. Folks are here to help.

Since I discovered BYC, every free moment for years and years I've been spending time here. BYC is just as addictive as chickens.

Welcome to BYC. Click on the 'Learning Center' located at the top of the page. Study the forums, and as questions arise post them in the proper forums. Folks are here to help.

LOL, should I try to save some time and look into a 12 step program now?

Hi and welcome. I found this site through and internet search before I got my chickens too. Hubby and I want goats too, but our property is like yours... dense and steep for most of it and we aren't thrilled about the fencing challenge.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
The Learning Center is a great resource, and if you ever have any questions, always feel free to ask! Thanks for joining us!
smile.png

I agree, Virginia is a great state!!! I grew up in the tidewater area. At present, I only live 4 miles over the state line and travel over the Shenandoah each day for work.

Back
Top Bottom