Very worried about Frack....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Mar 7, 2012.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Some of my Cochin hens had dirty fannies, so they were treated to a spa day today (which they all enjoyed immensely, by the way. They just love being fussed over :) ). Anyhoo- when I got to Ms. Frack, I found something that's got me very concerned....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They're not the best pictures, so if you're having a hard time figuring out what you're looking at, that's an egg shaped lump under her vent. It feels soft and squishy to the touch. She didn't mind me touching it, and didn't even flinch when I grabbed the vasoline, lubed up and stuck my finger up her rear (poor girl :/ ). I went in there as far as I physically could, and felt nothing. No shell, no egg gunk- but I did notice it was awfully warm in there (not that I spend my free time feeling up chicken poop shoots, so maybe that's normal?). I'm not real sure what to do for her. She was in a nice warm bath, and nothing came out, not even a poo. And she wasn't flexing her vent like she was having a hard time passing an egg. She's been eating, drinking and doing her normal chicken thing all day, even after my discovery. I'm not sure if she laid an egg today or not, but she's been a great layer since she started laying a couple of weeks ago. She's and almost 11 month old standard Cochin, and she's a very special girl so I'd really like to help her out. Her twin, Frick, would be devastated if anything happened to her. They're very close. Can y'all help me help her? Thanks in advance!!!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    That "lump" is what a normal chicken butt looks like. It's a fat pad. I guess Frack is eating well.

Good luck.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Well, that makes me feel a little better. However, I bathed 6 other hens yesterday and she was the only one with a booty like that. Maybe shes just a piggy......thank you very much! Now I feel extra bad about violating her though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by