Vet didn't allow me to be present for chicken euthanasia. Valid or cause for complaint?

I just had this happen to me and the vet fully disclosed why I couldn't be there, it's because they use a gas first so they don't feel it, because they have to go through to the heart bc they don't have veins like dogs or cats. So I am assuming it's a liability thing with the gas. He also did say we wouldn't want to see it either, so I'm assuming because of the flopping when they die.

I just had this happen to me and the vet fully disclosed why I couldn't be there, it's because they use a gas first so they don't feel it, because they have to go through to the heart bc they don't have veins like dogs or cats. So I am assuming it's a liability thing with the gas. He also did say we wouldn't want to see it either, so I'm assuming because of the flopping when they die.
Gas was my first thought too.

I had my chicken euthanized earlier this week. The vet let me stay in the room while he injected her with barbiturates, ketamine, sedatives, and some anesthetics. No gas. Because she was so heavily sedated, she didn't flap or anything when she died, just slowly lowered her head and stopped breathing.

Maybe it's just a different means of euthanasia thing, idk.

Back
Top Bottom