Vet found spirochetes in droppings but med's don't seem to be working -

UPDATE: DAY #3 WITH DURAMYCIN-10 IN THEIR WATER:

Well, it seems the Duramycin-10 was the correct call for this girl as she's markedly improved. She greeted me when I walked in the coop this morning and was the FIRST girl to go for the food!! YIPPEE!

celebrate.gif

The "poo field" under the roosting board looks entirely different. No runny or watery or separated poo for any of the girls. Another girl has had a chronic case of "runny poo" for months and - after treatment for worms and cocci - I figured it was just how her individual system operated. Even her poo looks normal now! Possibly she had a latent case of this stuff? Don't know, just am happy to see such overall improvement.

I am changing their water twice a day so that it is freshly medicated and the meds retain their potency. After 7 days on the Duramycin-10, I'll have the EE's poo re-tested by the vet [thankful daughter is a vet tech!]. I'll know then if I need to continue the meds further.

The next test will be to see when she begins laying again. I have to withhold eggs for 21 days after discontinuing the meds but I'll know the EE is back to normal when she resumes laying. Fingers crossed that this improvement continues!

I know there are spirochetes that can infect chickens in different parts of the body. The Red Chicken mite can be a source...but I dont know specifically what they attack in the system. Inspect your birds for mites. In other words, what was the source/cause of the spirochetes and how to prevent further infections? Perhaps the vet would know.

I know there are spirochetes that can infect chickens in different parts of the body. The Red Chicken mite can be a source...but I dont know specifically what they attack in the system. Inspect your birds for mites. In other words, what was the source/cause of the spirochetes and how to prevent further infections? Perhaps the vet would know.

Yes, that's one thing I will be discussing with the vet. I have checked them for mites, lice, etc. and haven't found anything. I've read that ticks can cause them but the specific tick referred to aren't in my region. Not sure if ticks from my area can cause the spirochetes.

I think you're onto something regarding the Red Chicken mite. See link below and it specifically references the red chicken mite causing Avian Spirochetes. It says the mite comes out at night so possibly I've not seen them? I have checked the girls and have never seen anything on them.

NOW, how to get rid of the mites??? And, thanks, I believe you may have hit the nail on the head!

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

You can go out to the coop at night with a flashlight and have a look-see. You should be able to see mites crawling around on roosts/nests/chicken legs and feet if they're present.

You can go out to the coop at night with a flashlight and have a look-see. You should be able to see mites crawling around on roosts/nests/chicken legs and feet if they're present.

Just got back from tucking the girls in. Took a flashlight, went quietly into the dark coop, turned the light on and . . . nothing.

Checked the roosts, their feet, pulled up the straw in the nesting boxes, looked on the walls near cracks, picked up two of the girls and inspected their bums. The EE has such a fluffy butt I thought I'd never find her skin. The other girl is molting and - in the bright glare of a flashlight - her butt was really, really ugly.

Nothing. Zip. Nada. Part of me is pleased that they are mite and lice free. The other part of me would like to find something that caused this and enable me to get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom