Vet found spirochetes in droppings but med's don't seem to be working -

..... "The most widely used are penicillin derivatives, but the streptomycins, tetracyclines, and tylosin are also effective."

I have no experience giving meds to chickens. Can anyone tell me which one of these would be easiest to administer? I have read the penicillin is given via injection. That's totally new territory for me.

Follow the dosage directions and locations that come with what ever injectable product that you buy. If it calls for an injection under the skin then grip the skin on the back of the neck, gently lift it, and slip the needle in there, WITH THE TIP OF THE NEEDLE POINTING AWAY FROM YOUR BIRD'S HEAD and parallel to the chicken's spine. If it calls for an injection in muscle tissue then give it in the chickens LEFT breast muscle but don't poke the needle all the way into the keel bone or stick the needle through the crop on the right side of the breast. Remember, you are administrating a drug not putting out a forest fire so push the medicine slowly or else it may squirt out around the needle as fast as you administer it.

GOOD LUCK!!

Follow the dosage directions and locations that come with what ever injectable product that you buy. If it calls for an injection under the skin then grip the skin on the back of the neck, gently lift it, and slip the needle in there, WITH THE TIP OF THE NEEDLE POINTING AWAY FROM YOUR BIRD'S HEAD and parallel to the chicken's spine. If it calls for an injection in muscle tissue then give it in the chickens LEFT breast muscle but don't poke the needle all the way into the keel bone or stick the needle through the crop on the right side of the breast. Remember, you are administrating a drug not putting out a forest fire so push the medicine slowly or else it may squirt out around the needle as fast as you administer it.

GOOD LUCK!!
When giving daily intramuscular injections into the breast, it is best to alternate sides daily to prevent soreness and muscle damage. The OP has decided to treat with oral antibiotics in the water.

GOOD LUCK!!
But many drugs that we use are not labeled for poultry, so following the instructions might not be a good idea. Safeguard for goats is a good example of this... I believe the instructions say to give 5mg/kg, but that amount is useless in poultry.

Baytril is another, cats never get more than 5mg/kg, but poultry get 15-20mg/kg... not sure about dogs, cattle, goats, etc.

Bottom line, know how much each species is supposed to get in mg/kg and then do the math.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:

GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks for the info. I'm using an oral med in their water - Duramycin 10 - and it seems to be doing the trick. However, I appreciate the above as there may be a time I'll need to do injections. Trying to avoid that if I can, for sure!

UPDATE: DAY #3 WITH DURAMYCIN-10 IN THEIR WATER:

Well, it seems the Duramycin-10 was the correct call for this girl as she's markedly improved. She greeted me when I walked in the coop this morning and was the FIRST girl to go for the food!! YIPPEE!

celebrate.gif

The "poo field" under the roosting board looks entirely different. No runny or watery or separated poo for any of the girls. Another girl has had a chronic case of "runny poo" for months and - after treatment for worms and cocci - I figured it was just how her individual system operated. Even her poo looks normal now! Possibly she had a latent case of this stuff? Don't know, just am happy to see such overall improvement.

I am changing their water twice a day so that it is freshly medicated and the meds retain their potency. After 7 days on the Duramycin-10, I'll have the EE's poo re-tested by the vet [thankful daughter is a vet tech!]. I'll know then if I need to continue the meds further.

The next test will be to see when she begins laying again. I have to withhold eggs for 21 days after discontinuing the meds but I'll know the EE is back to normal when she resumes laying. Fingers crossed that this improvement continues!

Back
Top Bottom