Vet wrap on day-old duckling?

jaswashburn

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
New Mexico, USA
Hello everyone,
Four ducklings just arrived today in the mail. One has a very small patch of skin showing on the wing, and the others seem to be picking at it. It’s not bleeding but is irritated. I was thinking about wrapping it with vet wrap to protect it. Is that ok for a duckling so young? Does it need to be wrapped/protected or do you think it’ll heal on its own? Thanks!

Do you have a picture of it? My guess is that they were picking at each other from being in such close quarters during shipment and the stress of it all. I would just lather a good layer of original Neosporin (without pain medication) and see how that goes. Ducklings grow so fast that if not wrapped properly it could cause much more serious long-term issues.

Yes, I was hoping it was just from close quarters during travel, and I have the same concerns about wrapping it. I’ve included a picture here. They are brooding in a bathtub with pine shavings, food, water, and an eco glow heater, which is low enough to be in contact with their backs

Attachments

• 31EE086F-D731-42B4-99B9-020E2325FF5A.jpeg
    31EE086F-D731-42B4-99B9-020E2325FF5A.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 1
Thanks! I had all these same concerns. I will treat topically, no vet wrap. I’ve also been keeping an eye on them today, and they’re not picking at her anymore. She’s eating, drinking, brooding with the others, and active. Thanks for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom