Vetericyn and blue kote application on my hen?

LilyS

Songster
Jun 8, 2020
One of my hens got attacked by something and she has little puncture wounds on one side so I got the two things listed above and put her in a safe place in the shop. So I've read that I apply the vetericyn first to clean the wound then I fanned it dry and apply the blue Kote. My question is how often do I reapply these things?

Hi! I think once or twice a day would be sufficient. Depending on how bad the punctures are. Or even possibly just clean it well the first time and apply vetericyn (good stuff!!) and the blue kote and that might be all you need to do. Chickens heal up quite nicely! The blue kote will last for several days (and dye anything else that it touches-so be careful). Good luck with your girl!

Hi! I think once or twice a day would be sufficient. Depending on how bad the punctures are. Or even possibly just clean it well the first time and apply vetericyn (good stuff!!) and the blue kote and that might be all you need to do. Chickens heal up quite nicely! The blue kote will last for several days (and dye anything else that it touches-so be careful). Good luck with your girl!
Thank you so much! Is there a recommendation on how long i keep her by herself?

Depends on how bad the wounds are. If she’s acting normal and eating and drinking well, I wouldn’t separate her. The blue kote will mask any redness so the others shouldn’t pick on her (except if she is weak).

Depends on how bad the wounds are. If she’s acting normal and eating and drinking well, I wouldn’t separate her. The blue kote will mask any redness so the others shouldn’t pick on her (except if she is weak).
I'm not sure on the scale of damage considering you can't see organs or bones but there are a bunch of little punctures and the feathers are broken/ plucked 😔 poor girl. She seems aware of everything and is eating and drinking but she seems a little wimpy right now so I was concerned. I'll keep her separate for a couple more days and see how she is doing.
I want to get some cameras so I can keep an eye on things while we aren't home. If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate them! The wifi doesn't reach out where the coops are, fyi. Thank you for the feedback!

I personally avoid the use of Blu-Kote, for the following reasons. One of the ingredients is "Gentian violet" which will stain the wound a dark blue/purple color, there will be a lesser chance of the other chickens pecking at it, but at the same time, the stain makes it hard to accurately monitor the health of the wound.

One of the other ingredients is Isopropyl alcohol, which is generally not used often in wounds due to its overly destructive behavior to the good flora ( fibroblasts, WBC's, Marchophages) on the wound.

I prefer ointments or creams over sprays since they tend to keep the wound moister longer.

Some pictures of the wound would be helpful.

20200922_170652.jpg
20200922_170451.jpg
20200922_170652.jpg
20200922_170640.jpg

Yes, please send pictures.
When did the injuries happen and?
What caused her injuries?
Then the best advice can be provided to answer your questions n concerns.

Back
Top Bottom