vicious 4 week olds

chickenbythesea

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
ok, so does the viciousness go away? When they were little fluff balls they were sweet and cuddly... this past week since we've started letting them out in their run, they're brutal when I try to open the coop door and add feed and water. They're rushing me and trying to get out the door, they're bitting me... and it hurts! I have to shoo them away from me while keeping my eyes peeled so that one doesn't sneak out behind me. They're making it easier to envision sending them to chicken camp and making a meal of them!! Our weather here isn't the greatest still and for july, we're having some chilly days with high winds. I'm hoping that once they get to come out every day the nastiness will disappear? or am I stuck with meanies?

My RIR did this when I first moved her in the coop. She was about 7-8 weeks old. She pecked me super hard in the back once and twice she tried to push me down with her two legs. I picked her up and carried her for about 1/2 hour for 2 days. My RIR stopped after that. Now she is almost 18 weeks and I have not had any problems.

A few years ago I had a BA chick that was vicious. She got over it as an adult.

Imp- I was afraid of a chick
roll.png

they're just brown layers... mutts and supposed to be all pullets (i'd show ya a picture but I can't seem to figure out how to load a photo into a post). Just nothing special hatchery chicks. One was advancing on my at the door and I put the pop can down thinking it'd scare it and it jumped up and thumped it... wasn't scared, more indignant than anything. I did give them meal worms yesterday which they absolutely loved. Maybe they're just jazzed thinking I'm bringing them it again? I don't know but I'm feeling like I will have no problem eating them
big_smile.png
oh and they have tons of room and lots of food and water. So I'm not sure?

Last edited:
I call it flash mobbing for treats - sometimes it seems like they are desperate little bottomless pits of hunger -- no matter how much you feed them. Our girls went through short periods like that, although we were pretty sure they weren't biting us, just looking for food - one of the hazards of hand feeding the little darlings. I still have to watch out for my toe ring whenever I wear flip-flops. YOW! Yesterday they tried to get my DH's car keys right out of his hand.
Whatever you do, don't fall down in the run!
ep.gif

I picked up 4 older heavy boys from the local feed store (1 production red, 1 RIR, 1 barred rock and 1 australorp).. they were well feathered when i got them.. they were evil nasty buggers from day 1. I got them with the intention of sending them to freezer camp when they are big enough, so they are not in with the regular flock.
The hatchery chicks that i got before them are still sweethearts.. the chicks i hatched before and after them are still nice.. but these 4 are still holy terrors.. I believe it's because they were over crowded at the feed store... I normally do not buy older chicks.. and so far these four have been the most evil of any chicks i have ever had

Quote:
Ya know what... that's just what I was thinking: HOWEVER: I just went to let them out into the run and as soon as I opened their little door to come out, one charged me and bit me hard!! I flicked it to say no but it was by far the hardest bite yet! I think i might have a roo but their still so young I can't tell one from the other. And it's only one that's doing it... I think (as I said, I still can't tell one from the other!) . The rest are sweet but this one is driving me! oh, and their coop is 7ft x 7ft by 6ft and their run is 16 x 13, there's only nine chicks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom