1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vicious Hawk Attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BeulahBreezes, Jan 15, 2013.

1. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    A nasty hawk killed my favorite 9 month old RIR, Klara, yesterday. My husband actually walked right up on the 'act'. The hawk had Klara on the ground, never even tried to fly off with her. Husband got to within about 3 or 4 feet of the nasty hawk, trying to scare it away......it would not leave. It did finally fly up to a tree and then it just sat there...grrrr! He did scare it off finally......I am afraid it will come back for more. She was the alpha hen and my little buddy. I know we should not get attached, but its kinda hard not to when you raise the chickens from a day or so old! I went out this morning to bring tthe gals some warm oatmeal and then it hit me that "My Klara' is gone.
    Well, thanks for letting me 'vent'..lol! (Other ppl do not understand, well chicken-less ppl! lol,lol) ~Beulah

2. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Aww, I'm so sorry you lost your Klara. Yes, darn those hawks. My sister has a friend who saw her little dog taken away by a hawk. Picked it right off the ground and flew away with it never to be seen again.

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    That is awful! So sorry for your loss! I hope is does not come back!!!

4. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    Only one way to keep it from happening again . . .

5. johnnybee

johnnybee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2012
    How come only folk from the deep South know how to control hawks?

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I say there, I say, don't y'all remember that mint julep sipping Southern gentleman Foghorn P. Leghorn from the Saturday cartoons?
    His nemeses was a determined little chicken hawk named Henery.
    I guess chicken hawk control just rubbed off on us Southerners, that's all y'all.[​IMG]

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would want to pounce on a hawk if was eating my chicken. Figured they would fly away before you could get close. Sorry for the lose. Sad thing about that little dog.Wee little dogs are so darn cute.

8. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    Watched the m@#ther f*#cker snatch my foo foo head Polish chick before I could get a, um, warning shot off!!! No problem for 2 years, now 3 to 5 strikes a day!!!!

9. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Yes, and that's to (sadly) keep the chickens in a covered run.

Even if you dispatch of a hawk, it doesn't stop others from coming in. They are migratory, and even local hawks can have a huge range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by