Victoria/Vancouver Island BC

Well hey ;) I'm in south shawnigan, moved here from Sidney about a year and a half ago. I never really looked into regulations here cuz everyone here seems to have'm! ;) I currently have 10 hyline browns, 4 hens I'm not sure of yet (I adopted them and the previous owner wasn't too sure lol), and 5 chicks I hatched this fall/winter - 1 buff Orpington and 4 welsummers. Of which 2 are Roos and I have to find a home for them
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

I'm getting the itch to add to my flock again and am looking for Easter and olive eggers, Americaunas and wyandottes. So much fun! I'll be needing a bigger coop soon!!!

Ooly

Hi! I am in Nanaimo and we are just starting our backyard chicken raising adventure. Brooder box is ready and hoping to get some chicks this coming weekend. Looking for a mixed flock but have my heart set on a couple of silkies...anyone have any ideas about where I might find some silkie chicks locally? Frizzles or sizzles too?
Thanks

Hi there, I'm in Maple Bay and we are looking forward to building a coop and run. Do you have any advice regarding our weather and how the coop should be built?

Hmm well bear in mind our summers can be hot, so don't suffocate them in insulation. At the same time, here in Brentwood last winter one night the thermometer registered -17 so it should be something that can keep the hens warm enough. Chances are though, if you put enough straw in the nest boxes you won't need extra insulation. My experience is limited only to turkeys, quail, and pheasants though. And it HAS to be waterproofed/dry inside. Cheers

Yes, 'dry' definitely needs to be a propriety! We are planning to enclose the coop and large run to protect against raccoons and eagles/hawks . What kind of predators do you protect against? Thanks for your reply
smile.png

Yes, 'dry' definitely needs to be a propriety!   We are planning to enclose the coop and large run to protect against raccoons and eagles/hawks .  What kind of predators do you protect against?  Thanks for your reply :)  

No problem!
The main predators I deal with here are raccoons, Cooper's hawks, mink (this one's a must, they'll kill all of your birds), if you're near water otters, rats might go after chicks or eggs, and last year I had a bear go into my co-op..

Hello fellow VIers ;)

I'm in Langford - and our bylaw is 4 hens for under 1acre/over 5000sq ft - I managed to get two free hens from a woman in Saanichton who was downsizing her flock last week (I love usedvictoria.com) and a free rabbit hutch we converted to a coop - so we've managed one week with two hens and so far no complaints from neighbours :)

Although the bylaw allows it, we do live in a bare-land strata - our strata rules don't say anything about animals/chickens, but I don't want any complaints instigating a new strata rule...so we're being quiet about having them for now, so that if anyone does say anything we can say "they've been here for weeks (months)"...besides one neighbour has a very noisy/yappy jack russel terrier so our chickens cannot be worse than that :)

They've been laying eggs since day one, the move didn't seem to affect them - from this forum I found out they are Red Sex Link hens...

Hello fellow VIers ;)

I'm in Langford - and our bylaw is 4 hens for under 1acre/over 5000sq ft - I managed to get two free hens from a woman in Saanichton who was downsizing her flock last week (I love usedvictoria.com) and a free rabbit hutch we converted to a coop - so we've managed one week with two hens and so far no complaints from neighbours :)

Although the bylaw allows it, we do live in a bare-land strata - our strata rules don't say anything about animals/chickens, but I don't want any complaints instigating a new strata rule...so we're being quiet about having them for now, so that if anyone does say anything we can say "they've been here for weeks (months)"...besides one neighbour has a very noisy/yappy jack russel terrier so our chickens cannot be worse than that :)

They've been laying eggs since day one, the move didn't seem to affect them - from this forum I found out they are Red Sex Link hens...

Congrats on the birds! In my experience neighbours don't mind the birds as long as they get a carton of eggs once in a while and you're not in a stuck up neighbourhood. If you talk to most long term poultry breeders out here though, you'll find that most people aren't really bothered by the bylaw. Also you can stack birds, so here where I live I can have 4 chickens, 3 turkeys, 3 ducks, and there's no bylaw against pheasants and quail so that's always good. The red sex link Hens are bred by a local hatchery and sold as HY-Line birds. At any given time of the year you'll be able to find them on used Vic. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have birds at the fair?

Cheers guys

Hi all!
I'm in Metchosin. I have 5 hens, great layers. We had a cougar on property recently but the hen house was secure! Awesome.
I know nothing about the bylaws, but the homeowner had chickens here before, and neighbours have lots too??

Back
Top Bottom