Video- can anyone diagnose the problem?

Video link for buff Orrington odd behavior

Hi all, this is my one year old BO, happy and healthy but today is acting strange. She is not staying with her flock and sticking to herself. When I approach she puffs up and makes this noise. The video shows the behavior and sound. Any idea what this could be? Its 90 degrees here and I wondered if it could be heat related? Something she ate? I've never seen her do this before. She typically only puffs up after a dust bath...she overall just appears really uncomfortable. She is also not pecking at the ground, scratching, etc. Just standing around. I did notice some watery/runny yellow/greenish poop..

Video link for buff Orrington odd behavior

Hi all, this is my one year old BO, happy and healthy but today is acting strange. She is not staying with her flock and sticking to herself. When I approach she puffs up and makes this noise. The video shows the behavior and sound. Any idea what this could be? Its 90 degrees here and I wondered if it could be heat related? Something she ate? I've never seen her do this before. She typically only puffs up after a dust bath...she overall just appears really uncomfortable. She is also not pecking at the ground, scratching, etc. Just standing around. I did notice some watery/runny yellow/greenish poop..
She's broody.

She is broody, she wants to hatch some babies. They will only get off the nest once a day and you will rarely see her do it, they will often have odd large stinky poops. If her eggs are fertile you can put some under her and she will incubate them and hatch them in 21 days. If you don't want her to hatch some chicks you will have to break her.

Oh I'm so relieved its not a sign of sickness. Now and then she will also let out a shriek. Would this also explain the runny colored poop though?

Thank you for the help. Is it normal for a year old hen to start acting like this out of nowhere? She has never done it before...

Thank you!
My broodies do a screech too, it's normal.

Oh I'm so relieved its not a sign of sickness. Now and then she will also let out a shriek. Would this also explain the runny colored poop though?

Thank you for the help. Is it normal for a year old hen to start acting like this out of nowhere? She has never done it before...

Thank you!
Yes. It is very normal for hens to become broody out of nowhere. Do you want her to hatch some babies?

She is broody, she wants to hatch some babies. They will only get off the nest once a day and you will rarely see her do it, they will often have odd large stinky poops. If her eggs are fertile you can put some under her and she will incubate them and hatch them in 21 days. If you don't want her to hatch some chicks you will have to break her.
I have not seen her sitting on any eggs, just laying hers in the nest box and moving on. She is still considered broody even though she isn't staying on her nest? She has been free ranging all day after laying...

Back
Top Bottom