Video: removal of Rooster spurs

WOW - thanks for the video links! We were going to cut them off and I was looking up ways to do it. There's a few different videos - the one with the pliers actually made sense so we'll try that first.

Anyone ever try the baked potato?

the only thing i can say,, is i JUST went through this, had many people tell me how they did it,, the only thing bout pulling it off,, is it leaves LIVE nerves unprotected,, if you cut them, it only leaves the tip unprotected,, and if you use a dremil, it cauterizes it some and makes it own band-aid. is like pulling your fingernail off,,, all that sensitive skin left out,, even hurts when the wind blows on it. would you rather cut ya nail a little too short,, or have it ALL off????

True - we were going to use a dremel because it would cauterize. I'll let DBF decide the best way to do it because I'm not going anywhere near that mean old rooster!!

After looking at some other sites as well as this one I am of the opinion of using an angle grinder.

You cut off the sharp tip but leave behind about 1/2 inch of nail...by using an angle grinder and going slowly the heat build up cauterized the nerve and there is no blood. Seems to my mind the most humane way of dealing with spurs.

Good info - thanks! Just sent the link to DBF so it's his call. Both methods seem fairly simple; we just want to choose the one with less stress and pain to the rooster.

Hey all you people! Who wants to get their fingernails ripped off while still awake?! And better yet, lets all be forced to have that happen to us! Sounds soo fun!
yippiechickie.gif

Now lets see how many people say "no". mmm...lots of people hear say no. Now lets see what the roosters say- "That happens to us all the time. It's horrible, but of course, we are forced to have our spurs RIPPED OFF. So we don't have a choice".
somad.gif
Yet look at all the people who don't say what the roosters say! Wow, I guess we must be pretty darn "special" to actually have a choice.

TWO WORDS: POOR ROOSTERS!!!!!!!
somad.gif
rant.gif

Quote:
Yes that's a good way to do it, without using the stupid pliers method. That way it's less painful to the poor rooster, who can't help it when his spur grows back.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom